Mgm??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-05-2008, 01:26 PM

Default Mgm???

I have asked this one before, but doesn't anyone else find it strange that MGM is not releasing any catalog titles? Now that Fox is pumping them out, I would think MGM would start it up again. I just don't get it. I need my Sergio Leone Box set bad. Anybody know anything????? I'm baffled by it.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:54 PM

MGM has no say in what gets released. As you stated, Fox is in control. It is irrelevant whether MGM distributed theatrically or even on prior home video formats. Fox has gotten better with their bbblu releases, but has definitely focused more on new releases than catalog titles. It is still incredibly early in the hi-def disc game, you'll just have to be patient.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 PM

I thought MGM was bought out by Sony a few years ago... how does Fox come into the picture?

Man am I outdated or what?... I must've missed something!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Only 20% of MGM was bought by Sony.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM
Old 03-05-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
MGM has no say in what gets released. As you stated, Fox is in control. It is irrelevant whether MGM distributed theatrically or even on prior home video formats. Fox has gotten better with their bbblu releases, but has definitely focused more on new releases than catalog titles. It is still incredibly early in the hi-def disc game, you'll just have to be patient.
Actually, MGM has 100% say what they release. They are an autonomous company that has its distribution handled by Fox. This is how they were able to change from Sony to Fox as distributors. MGM employees make the decision on home video releases, though they have to work within Fox's distribution schedule.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 PM

I want Death At A Funeral on Blu-ray.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:39 PM

MGM??? Who are they??? Do they release films on Blu-ray???
Old 03-06-2008, 02:13 PM

It's a shame because they have an awesome catalog, past 15 years pretty much crap, but old school, they are not be rivaled. Bond, Pink Panther, Great War movies, horror movies, westerns, great cheese as well Road House, Red Dawn. Also Space Balls, Rain Man just a ton of stuff. What could they be waiting for?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:27 PM

I need Showgirls in HD.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captveg View Post
Actually, MGM has 100% say what they release. They are an autonomous company that has its distribution handled by Fox. This is how they were able to change from Sony to Fox as distributors. MGM employees make the decision on home video releases, though they have to work within Fox's distribution schedule.
Can you please show me evidence of this? As far as I can tell, MGM only controls theatrical distribution of their films and not home video. Are you saying that they do all the groundwork (title selection, mastering, features, etc.), and then simply turn it over to Fox who will make only the scheduling decisions?