'To Kill a King' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Attebery's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9,716
Default 'To Kill a King' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'To Kill a King' has been posted. He says the movie and this Blu-ray are fairly middle of the road -- the video looks pretty good, but the audio is flavorless and there are no extras. British history fans should give this a rent, but all others will probably feel safe taking a pass.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1284/tokillaking.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,580
Default

Suprising that this doesn't feature any lossless audio.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 361
Default Error in review, Title has uncompressed pcm

I am confused by peters review i just rented this from my local hollywood video. On the cover there is no mention of uncompressed pcm but when you load the disc you can choose uncompressed pcm in the setup menu. Peter must have just looked at the box and not have actually gone throught the setup menu. If anyone cares it was at 4.6pbps

Peter, did you actually check the audio setup menu? IF so are you saying there was no pcm track? Thatt would be very strange if my copy had umcompressed and yours didn't. I would encourage you to go back and see if there is a pcm option in the set up menu of your copy.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post
I am confused by peters review i just rented this from my local hollywood video. On the cover there is no mention of uncompressed pcm but when you load the disc you can choose uncompressed pcm in the setup menu. Peter must have just looked at the box and not have actually gone throught the setup menu. If anyone cares it was at 4.6pbps

Peter, did you actually check the audio setup menu? IF so are you saying there was no pcm track? Thatt would be very strange if my copy had umcompressed and yours didn't. I would encourage you to go back and see if there is a pcm option in the set up menu of your copy.
This is a serious oversight on Peter Bracke's part if true.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 PM
PeterB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ugh, it is my fault. I didn't thoroughly check the disc's menu to confirm DD or PCM. However, through my PS3 output at the moment, I'm still getting only a 640kbps output via my receiver.

In any case, I updated the specs in the review to reflect what's encoded on the disc.

Thanks for posting this, and my apologies while I try to figure this out...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 361
Default Just trying to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
Ugh, it is my fault. I didn't thoroughly check the disc's menu to confirm DD or PCM. However, through my PS3 output at the moment, I'm still getting only a 640kbps output via my receiver.

In any case, I updated the specs in the review to reflect what's encoded on the disc.

Thanks for posting this, and my apologies while I try to figure this out...
Hey no problem i was definitly confused by that as well. I just wanted to help make sure this great site is as accurate as possible. On a second note even though the there is a pcm track, i totally agree with your review. The Audio is pretty lackluster. The source doesn't warrent 4.6mps anyway so nothing can save it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2008, 02:31 PM
PeterB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hey Mosman --

Are you using the PS3?

I still only get 640kbps on my display. Indeed, the menu says PCM, but the box says DD.

I've contacted Starz to see what the official word is on the disc -- it could be my setup problem. Are you able to get PCM?

P
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 361
Default I am using a ps3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
Hey Mosman --

Are you using the PS3?

I still only get 640kbps on my display. Indeed, the menu says PCM, but the box says DD.

I've contacted Starz to see what the official word is on the disc -- it could be my setup problem. Are you able to get PCM?

P
I am using a ps3. I rented the movie so i don't have it avaible right now. On my way home from work, i will try and pick it up to check it out more thoroughly. I do remember pretty clearly hitting the display button on my ps3 remote and seeing lpcm at 4.6 mbps. I can't remember whether i checked my reciever, i usaully keep my ps3 outputting lpcm instead of bitstream so it would have read multichannel on my 705 anway. Hopefully i can check this out more tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post
I am using a ps3. I rented the movie so i don't have it avaible right now. On my way home from work, i will try and pick it up to check it out more thoroughly. I do remember pretty clearly hitting the display button on my ps3 remote and seeing lpcm at 4.6 mbps. I can't remember whether i checked my reciever, i usaully keep my ps3 outputting lpcm instead of bitstream so it would have read multichannel on my 705 anway. Hopefully i can check this out more tonight.
For some reason, my day-one-release PS3 occasionally changes its audio/video settings. I've encountered these bizarre audio bitrate disparities before (640kbps on higher bitrate track) and when I go into my settings menu, certain things have mysteriously changed or reverted back to their default values. Perhaps it coincides with updates to the system, but my PS3 sometimes seems to have a mind of its own!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 143
Wink The English Cornholio?

Who the hell is Cornwell?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Kill and Kill Again' is coming October 3 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 08-15-2017 02:30 PM
Faster, Pussycat! Kill!! Kill!! Jaskoen Blu-ray Wish Lists 0 08-17-2011 04:40 PM
'To Kill a King' -- pre-release buzz PeterB Blu-ray Software General Discussion 1 02-26-2008 07:49 PM
Digital Distribution didn't kill CD, it won't kill Blu-Ray. theBishop HD Digital Downloads (NEW!) 46 01-13-2008 01:00 AM
New announcements: No Country For Old Men, To Kill A King zombieflanders Blu-ray Software General Discussion 2 12-12-2007 11:37 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off