Can someone explain Netflix to me? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 PM

Default Can someone explain Netflix to me?

I have never used Netflix before but I would like to make the switch to Blu Ray; however, I have heard of availability issues with Netflix. I have this question for those who subscribe to Netflix:

If I put only Blu Ray (no SD) discs on my 'queue' at Netflix what are the chances that I will always have a BD in my possession?

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:06 AM

As long as you have more than just new releases, pretty good. I've only got BD on my queue and I always have 2 in my possession at all times. Getting a new release can be hard sometimes, but overall, it's a good service.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Banned

I currently have about 60 movies in my queue and they are all Blu-ray and HD DVD. Only one of them is not currently available and thats The Assasination of Jesse James (Blu-ray).
Old 02-29-2008, 03:09 AM

It also depends on how aggressively you rent your discs. I return almost every single disc the day after I get them, therefore Netflix hates me because they cannot make much (if any) profit. As a result, I get throttled badly. That being said, at the moment the first 16 discs in my queue are high-def (combination of both formats), and every single one of them has a wait of varying degree. I have had The Matrix in the #1 spot in my queue since May when it was released and I still haven't gotten it! Some of these 16 are very new, but many are a few months old. The only hi-def discs in my queue that are available are a few that I have towards the bottom that I don't want as much, but have included just in case they become necessary. I bet that some of the same titles that are unavailable to me are "available now" to other customers. As a new customer, you would not have any of the issues that plague me. It depends on your renting habits, and even if they are like mine, it would take a few months before you would get classified as such.