I think I know why Borat isn't on BD yet. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-15-2007, 01:25 AM

Default I think I know why Borat isn't on BD yet.

Well I ended up buying this movie on SDVD the other day and I watched it and I know why this isn't on BD this early. It looks bad PQ wise. This movie was intentionally shot shitty with a washed out and overall crap quality to it to make it look like bush-league filming from Borat's journalistic point of view. It's suppossed to look crappy.

Simplt put even if they transfered this movie perfectly onto BD it would still look that way because that's the way is shot and meant to be. It would just be bad for BD for that movie to come out from an exclusive BD supporter like Fox and have all the HD DVD fanboys ragging on it that is had bad PQ.

In retrospect I think it was a good call not to have this a day and date release with the SDVD.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:11 AM

I think the movie being as big as it was, would have been nice to have on Blu-ray to show, "hey, Blu-ray has way better exclusives" but, having said that, I also agree with you.

Just what we need is "omg, look at the crappy PQ, omg blu-ray sucks" even though the movie was meant to be like that
Old 03-15-2007, 12:56 PM

the reason why its not out on bd is the same reason why jackass 2 wasnt out on bd. its the kind of movie that no one really cares which way it goes. its just a funny comedy documentary. it wasnt an actual movie where everyone was acting. its like a reality movie and i dont really think anyone would really care if it came out in hd or not. for the PQ wise, its fine. the only times that it looks like crap on purpose is when borats on the news or something, or if it shows the map where they are traveling to and from. thats it. i thought the PQ for the sd dvd was decent. definetly not bad.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:40 PM

Couldn't agree more, it would look crappy on BD!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:42 PM

Most of the film was shot at 720p -- a real HD transfer would still merit better reproduction of the theatrical experience than a 480 line DVD transfer.

See this article on DV Info for information on the cameras used --

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...707#post632707
Old 03-16-2007, 01:11 AM

I disagree completely I have the movie on sd dvd and it shines when not on "secret camera" scenes, me an my girlfriend were both impressed by it's quality for a documentry film. maybe it was my tv or something but i thought it looked great.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:41 AM

The film blows too lol.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermackem View Post
The film blows too lol.
No one likes to see just how easily a hillariously over the top racist character can bring out the real racism in regular people in the US.......I have to say I saw this movie in BC Canada and man I tell you people were throwing things at the screen in disgust over what that cowboy guy was saying about muslims and gays......it was like pure evil.... disgusting! How anyone can just paint a brush over a group of people like that is the very evil that cause wars, and atrocities we see on earth. very funny, but truthfully very sad aswell

Last edited by redbawlz; 03-16-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbawlz View Post
No one likes to see just easily a hillariously over the top racist character can bring out the real racism in regular people in the US.......I have to say I saw this movie in BC Canada and man I tell you people were throwing things at the screen in disgust over what that cowboy guy was saying about muslims and gays......it was like pure evil.... disgusting! How anyone can just paint a brush over a group of people like that is the very evil that cause wars, and atrocities we see on earth. very funny, but truthfully very sad aswell
I can say that then I watched the movie in the theatre here in Gothenburg, Sweden, where was almost a constant laugh in the theatre. I have never been to a movie and seen this kind of reaction before. I really liked the movie and think it is brilliant. I have seen other things Sacha Baron Cohen have done with his different characters and I think he is very clever. As you say it is really sad some people just paint a brush over a group of people and I hope this movie can help us discuss the subject more and not try to ignore the fact that some people are racists or maybe just ignorant sometimes.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbawlz View Post
No one likes to see just how easily a hillariously over the top racist character can bring out the real racism in regular people in the US.......I have to say I saw this movie in BC Canada and man I tell you people were throwing things at the screen in disgust over what that cowboy guy was saying about muslims and gays......it was like pure evil.... disgusting! How anyone can just paint a brush over a group of people like that is the very evil that cause wars, and atrocities we see on earth. very funny, but truthfully very sad aswell
what the hell are you talking about how we are rascists??? the guy that played borat, was a complete rascist. he was rascis agaisnt jews, women, blacks, whites, everthing, and yet, it was completley hilarious beause it is a movie. he's an actor. he also played a gay french man, a pretty much wigga, and he plays a gay guy name bruno. he's a very versatile comedian. if you werent canadien, you wouldnt be saying this garbarge.

yes that cowboy guy was a huge racsist and that was why it was so funny. the entire world is full of racist people, not just the united states.

Last edited by BostonMA; 03-16-2007 at 12:19 PM.