'Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same ' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-27-2008, 01:02 AM

Default 'Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same ' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of the much-delayed 'Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same' has been posted. He says the dramatic interludes are dreadful, but the musical performances rock. This is a solid Blu-ray release, with well-mastered video and audio and a few vintage extras. This is a must for Led Zeppelin disciples, and worth a rental for those music fans unafraid of dramatic cheese.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1023...nsthesame.html
Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 AM

I happen to LOVE the dramatic interludes of this film and completely disagree with his opinion on the film itself.

I do however agree with his PQ/AQ scores which is all I usualy read from these reviews anyway. For anyone familar with this movie/concert, this is the best it has ever sounded and well worth getting if you are a fan of this film.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 AM

I think Plant says best when he says "If we are going to be self-indulgent we might as well try to expand our indulgence a little" in the BBC interview on the extras. I took this to mean: After a great number of drinks and some good pharmacology, the fantasy bits are what we came up with". I also cannot locate the interview with Cameron Crowe, and instead have a TV report from Tampa. Whats up? Different extras for Canada? Or did I end up with some rogue copy of the previously delayed brd?
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 AM
PeterB

Heya --

There are actually two versions of 'Song Remains the Same' (not that warner wants anyone to know).

The original features the Cameron Crowe interview, which had to be dumped due to rights issues. That's the version that hit some retailers late last year, despite a last-minute Warner recall.

On the new version, the video, audio and remaining supplements are identical.

The main page link should go to the review of the new disc, sans Crowe's interview. I did take a look at the recalled version, but its listing is in the database only (it shouldn't display on the site) as it never officially hit stores.

Again, the video and audio, etc., are the same encodes, and quite frankly the Crowe interview is nothing fantastic. Still, those who have the original recalled version, it is now a collector's item...

BTW, I updated the editor's note to make it more clear...

Last edited by PeterB; 02-27-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 AM

Reading this review makes me want a bluray of the reunion concert even more.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 AM

What's the story on a re-release on Blu Ray ?

In fact, why was it withdrawn anyway ?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 AM

The UK version of the HD-DVD which Amazon UK still has in stock contains the Crowe interviews.

Lego
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Jimmy Page is a Guitar God, PERIOD! He's up there with Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani and Slash. He earns more points because he's an original shredder of the electric guitar. I'm definitely gonna buy this beautiful concert on blu ray but it's not showing up on the best buy website yet.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznNintendoFan1 View Post
Jimmy Page is a Guitar God, PERIOD! He's up there with Steve Vai and Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani and Slash. He earns more points because he's an original shredder of the electric guitar. I'm definitely gonna buy this beautiful concert on blu ray but it's not showing up on the best buy website yet.
Agreed. The man is mind blowing!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznNintendoFan1 View Post
Yes I didn't realise how much effort Pagey put into his craft until I seen him up close on stage, all that concentration & sweat in HD !

Long time fan since Bath Festival of Blues days