Halloween, Peter Bracke and Tim Lucas - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 AM

Default Halloween, Peter Bracke and Tim Lucas

So here's the deal. Based on Peter Bracke's somewhat controversial review of the Anchor Bay/Starz Blu-ray release of Halloween I was dead set against getting that disc and ready to hold out for a properly color timed version down the line.

Then I read Tim Lucas's review of the same disc in Video Watchdog #136 and he states that the color timing issues Mr. Bracke took issue with are actually after the fact tinkering by cinematographer Dean Cundey for the DVD mastering and are not representative of the original theatrical release.

Now I don't know what to think. I have great respect for Mr. Lucas and Mr. Bracke who both carry a ton of credibility in writing about genre cinema, but one of them has to be mistaken.

Having watched both versions on video now I think it changes the tone of the film in many subtle ways. The blue tint is more aesthetic and surreal, but the harsh white light version has a starker more unpleasant feel and seems more in keeping with Carpenters style at the time. As a rabid movie lover and genre fan I'd love to get a definitive answer on this question. Did the original Halloween release have blue tinge color timing to the night scenes or not?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 AM

I believe it originally had the blueish tint
Old 02-26-2008, 01:41 AM

Doesn't Brackes review clearly state the blueish tint is the original look? I haven't read it lately. Either way, I'm pretty sure the blueish is original and the whiteness came from whoever did it trying to clean up the scenes for a better quality image.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXinchnail View Post
Doesn't Brackes review clearly state the blueish tint is the original look? I haven't read it lately. Either way, I'm pretty sure the blueish is original and the whiteness came from whoever did it trying to clean up the scenes for a better quality image.
Well that's my point and my question. Bracke says the bluish tint is true to the original theatrical release -- and Tim Lucas insinuates otherwise -- that the blue tinge was added in the 90's by Dean Cundey when he was supervising a digitization.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:01 AM

I never understood the review for Haloween. Halloween has never looked this good.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Numbers View Post
I never understood the review for Haloween. Halloween has never looked this good.
Well, I have a sneaking suspicion the first pristine 35mm release prints may have looked better.

I assume you mean on video.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 AM

Halloween BR looks great. You have to remember that Mr. Bracke is only one person and that his review is his opinion...not everyones.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Numbers View Post
+1

I have to agree with you on this.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:57 PM

Tim Lucas should know. He's a walking horror-movie encyclopedia.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinbox View Post
Tim Lucas should know. He's a walking horror-movie encyclopedia.
True, but he's also not very technically-inclined. When he first bought a widescreen display, he wasn't aware that he had to change his DVD player to 16:9 aspect ratio mode until a reader pointed it out to him based on some odd comments in his reviews. That's not to say that he doesn't know how Halloween should look, just that he does have a history of making some technical errors in the past.

I don't know enough about Halloween to know who is right here. Both Peter and Tim are much more familiar with the movie's history than I ever will be. We will probably need a third-party expert on the movie to verify.