Donnie Darko Coming To Blu-ray! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Default Donnie Darko Coming To Blu-ray!

Richard Kelly confirms in the latest HomeMediaMagazine (pg. 32) that Donnie Darko is currently being authored for Blu-ray and Southland Tales will eventually be released on Blu-ray as well.

The director is speculating that Fox has a December release for Donnie Darko in the works. This is awesome news and I can't wait for this one on Blu-ray!

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/questex/hom022408/
Old 02-23-2008, 12:09 PM

Nice, a definite must for me
Old 02-23-2008, 12:26 PM

Awesome, will definitely be getting this. Hopefully it looks good on High-Def, because the original DVD looks quite awful.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyers Eve View Post
Awesome, will definitely be getting this. Hopefully it looks good on High-Def, because the original DVD looks quite awful.

I agree. I watched it the other night and the blacks and pixelation look disgusting.

It took me a long time to discover this movie and now that I have, I will likely be buying it on blu. Freddy
Old 02-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Is it the director's cut or the theatrical release? Hopefully it's the director's cut since I thought it was much better than the theatrical version. At the very least it should be a disc that has both versions.

There's no excuse to double dip on director's cuts on blu ray with titles that have already been released in two versions on dvd. I can stomach it with new releases that will have director's cuts later on since I'm used to it from dvd, but if both have already been out for years on dvd it's annoying for studios to repeat that on blu-ray.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockden View Post
There's no excuse to double dip on director's cuts on blu ray with titles that have already been released in two versions on dvd. I can stomach it with new releases that will have director's cuts later on since I'm used to it from dvd, but if both have already been out for years on dvd it's annoying for studios to repeat that on blu-ray.

I feel you on that. I think that blu ray (or HD DVD) releases should be the premium, end all be all release of a film. If anything, there should be plenty more features on HDM than there are on SD DVD. Freddy
Old 02-23-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockden View Post
Is it the director's cut or the theatrical release? Hopefully it's the director's cut since I thought it was much better than the theatrical version.
You would be in an extremely small minority with that opinion. The director's cut is a mess. The theatrical cut is vastly better.

As mentioned by others, both DVD editions look like garbage. The movie needs a thorough remastering. Unfortunately, I don't know that I trust Fox to put any effort into it, given their track record for catalog titles on Blu-ray.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:16 PM

I can't wait for this. Like always, I'll wait for pq/aq reviews before buying.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:28 PM

One of my favorites! I almost always like the directors cut of a movie better than the original but this time I'll take the original... I own both in SD DVD. I do hope they put both on the Blu-ray though.

I was thinking about this movie this morning because I ran across the Gears of War game trailer, a very well done trailer to the tune of Gary Jules' Mad World.

-A
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Something tells me this will look pretty bad either way, and it's from Fox.. If Fox lowers their pricing I will get it, but not for more than $25