Blu-ray Anime - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

Default Blu-ray Anime

I ran across this press release from last year from GDH (Gonzo) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...n-blu-ray-disc

Quote:
GDH, known for producing novel animation titles using advanced CG technologies, currently releases videograms of its titles on DVD, VHS, and UMD formats. By adding Blu-ray Discs to this line-up, GDH will be accommodating to high-definition formats as well. GDH will be releasing more titles on next-generation high-definition optical discs, which are capable of reproducing the high-quality video images that are one of the hallmarks of GDH titles.
Gonzo is responsible for G.I. Joe: Sigma 6, Transformers: Cybertron, and many others. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzo_%28studio%29

There is also an Air box set http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCXX-50001
Quote:
featuring hi-vision video and PCM5.1 channel surround sound. Includes all 12 episodes of the series plus 2 special features with a completely new opening designed specifically for the Blu-ray release, cast interviews (with Japanese subtitles, vastly expanded from the original DVD release--nearly 130 minutes), illustration gallery, digipak packaging and deluxe box case illustrated by character designer Tomoe Aratani."
We also know Steamboy, Ghost int he Shell, Deep Blue, and Appleseed are on or are coming to Blu-ray.

I just though to look this stuff up because I just saw Spirited Away last night.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:49 PM

Lets get some Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Wolfs Rain type action, Apple Seed. These will all look amazing on Blu-ray
Old 03-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Lets get some Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Wolfs Rain type action, Apple Seed. These will all look amazing on Blu-ray
Keep in mind that the majority of anime series since the mid-nineties have been produced in standard definition. In fact, Cowboy Bebop was produced on composite video.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned

Yeah, older anime won't have much advantage over upconversion unless it was hand-drawn.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragebot View Post
Keep in mind that the majority of anime series since the mid-nineties have been produced in standard definition. In fact, Cowboy Bebop was produced on composite video.
What about series like:

Trigun
Hellsing
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bleach
Old 03-13-2007, 04:33 PM

As far as Cowboy Bebop goes, don't hold your breath on blu-ray. At least, not in America. Bandai is supporting Blu-ray in japan, but has only announced HD-DVD support in america and has repeatedly shot down any thought of blu-ray support here.

I wish though that some of the blu-ray animes would be brought over here already. I mean, how many months has GitS 2 been out in japan? I love the movie, but I'm not paying totally insane import prices for it. That is, if it even works. Blu-ray region 1 is Japan and North America, right?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
As far as Cowboy Bebop goes, don't hold your breath on blu-ray. At least, not in America. Bandai is supporting Blu-ray in japan, but has only announced HD-DVD support in america and has repeatedly shot down any thought of blu-ray support here.

I wish though that some of the blu-ray animes would be brought over here already. I mean, how many months has GitS 2 been out in japan? I love the movie, but I'm not paying totally insane import prices for it. That is, if it even works. Blu-ray region 1 is Japan and North America, right?
Japan and the States are the same region. Bandai releasing in Japan is the same as if they released it here.

http://www.dvdrecorderworld.com/news/126
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=34
Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
What about series like:

Trigun
Hellsing
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bleach
Trigun was a cel-animated series produced almost a decade ago, so it's a possible candidate. The other ones are more recent, all-digital series. So they're all basically ruled out.

Here's a good timeline:

1960's-Late 80's/Mid 90's: Shows are shot and edited on 16mm film.

Mid 90's-2000: Cel animation begins to be edited in the video realm. 50/50 chance of a series being in HD.

2000-Present: Digital animation. With very few exceptions, most are produced in SD resolution.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:33 PM

I suppose I can live with the ones that were in 4:3 in their present DVD formats. However GITS, Madlax, Gilgamesh, Noir and everything else that is 16:9, I want it... Oooooh, Elfen Lied. If only ADV and Funimation and the rest would anounce some Blu Ray support.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragebot View Post
Digital animation. With very few exceptions, most are produced in SD resolution.
Is it impossible to be put into higher resolutions? If it's digital, wouldn't it actually be easier to completely upsample the video to whatever resolution was desired?