Unforgiven -- High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-01-2006, 04:12 PM
PeterB

Thumbs up Unforgiven -- High-Def Digest review

Just finished checking out 'Unforgiven':

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/unforgiven.html

I loved this one on HD DVD and this Blu-ray matches it. Glad Warner went with a BD-50 and VC-1 -- same great quality and tons of extras. Definitely a big thumbs up.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Great review Peter. Unforgiven is one of my favourite westerns, for me it ranks up there with The Good, The Bad and They Ugly and The Wild Bunch.

I will definitley be picking this up -I just have to decide which format (which makes it difficult as they both sound identical!)
Old 11-01-2006, 05:22 PM

This review doesn't mention any differences visually between the HDDVD and BluRay versions. Does this mean that the additional space available to the dual-layer BluRay disc doesn't actually provide any discernable difference to the viewer?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:09 AM

well that pretty much answers my question
didn't realize posting here was such a waste of time
Old 11-09-2006, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry wickedbob - I'd love to answer your question but I've not seen both versions and therefore maybe someone else can help?

Remember these forums are still very new.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:57 PM

No worries Tejstar.
Thanks for your reply anyway.
Thought I was the only one in here. :P
Old 11-15-2006, 01:21 AM
PeterB

Heya --

Warner's Blu-ray titles so far have been identical to the HD DVD. They use the same master, in fact, and VC-1 encoding. I haven't been able to detect any perceivable differences so far. Most of the extra space on a BD-50 usually goes to the extras and soundtrack options, so bitrates have been comparable as well. Certainly, that was the case with 'Unforgiven.'

Though I'm getting a PS3 this weekend, so I'll be very interested to see if it offers better Blu-ray playback than the much-maligned Samsung.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
Though I'm getting a PS3 this weekend, so I'll be very interested to see if it offers better Blu-ray playback than the much-maligned Samsung.
Would be very interested to your thoughts when you are up and running. Also a PS3 vs 360 add-on would be a good comparison feature for the future!
Old 12-03-2006, 01:15 AM

Just finally got around to watching this in HD. I must say I had forgotten how awesome this movie is. It is great how HD visually brings out the grittiness of the characters and the story also is so complex on different levels and really demonstrates how things cannot be interpreted just in black and white.

And as far as a transfer goes, bravo to HD DVD for yet another visual triumph. This is a must buy.

EDIT: I got to this review by doing a site search. I belatedly realized that this thread is for the Blu-Ray version - my comment is based on the HD DVD version (Probably still applicable to the Blu-ray version, though).

Last edited by Blurry; 12-03-2006 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
And as far as a transfer goes, bravo to HD DVD for yet another visual triumph. This is a must buy.
I was confused there few a minute, I thought you may be trying to goad the BD fanboys!