Fox: Goin' Flaky? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Fox: Goin' Flaky?

With the rash of recent postponements, inevitable MIA on "Mr & Mrs. Smith" and the potential disappearance of "eragon" the question must be asked: "What's the deal with Fox and BD"? It's gotten to the point where they don't even announce their postponed releases... they just wait until release day and then don't release them. Is Fox remastering their BD releases? Are they rethinking their release schedule?

It'd be nice to have some definitive information on Fox and BD.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 PM

And now Warners have a problem with Blood Diamond
Old 03-12-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenmulder View Post
And now Warners have a problem with Blood Diamond
I don't think Blood Diamond was even officially announced. That's why I watch what I preorder. Did we actually think it would come out Mar.20th?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:07 AM

Blood Diamond was never officially announced.

As far as fox goes, im sure they got their reasons. It might be adding new interactive features because lots of new Blu-ray players with Java support and such are coming out. It could be they werent happy with their transfer or anything else.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:13 AM

At least they didn't release a half-assed version, only to double-dip later
Old 03-13-2007, 03:23 AM

I'm sure it's because the copy protection was cracked.

as someone on avs said...

If you want to blame someone then blame the hax0r hackers. It seems most likely that Fox is delaying all of these movies so they can add better copy protection to them. Probably BD+. Fox is one of the most paranoid studios about protecting their content. Along with Disney.

Last edited by Dave Mack; 03-13-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

If you want to blame someone then blame the hax0r hackers. It seems most likely that Fox is delaying all of these movies so they can add better copy protection to them. Probably BD+. Fox is one of the most paranoid studios about protecting their content. Along with Disney.
Atleast Disney has their own stratigy in terms of how they release DVD's and not release em for a while like their DVD vault with Peter Pan coming out this week for example but Fox indeed is just paranoid as hell about copy right.

Again, I dont think there is a real threat yet cause you still need a Blu-ray burner for example or a computer hooked up to your TV and how long is it gonna take to download atleast 25GB movie file ya know? but the studio does what it does i guess
Old 03-13-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

If FOX is holding these back for more copy protection then they are just wasting their money. They really think no one is gonna crack BD+?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:50 AM

And while I know copying HD is "more serious" than copying a standard DVD (at least to the studios), it's not like Fox has stopped releasing regular DVDs. SD DVDs have been easily crackable for at least the last 5 years. I'm just hoping that they're messing around with better PQ or adding some features. I would really find it disheartening if a couple of hackers could single-handedly alter a major studios' release schedule.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:09 AM

I think the delays are more because they realize the studios have been flooding the market with Blu-ray discs quicker than consumers are purchasing them.