'Yes: Live from Montreux 2003' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 AM

Default 'Yes: Live from Montreux 2003' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of 'Yes: Live from Montreux 2003' is up. As a fan, he was disappointed by the legendary band's passionless performance in this 2003 reunion concert, and he says this Blu-ray release doesn't fare much better -- the video presentation is technically problematic, the audio lacks punch, and there isn't a single supplement to be found.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1334...tmontreux.html
Old 02-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Default Yes Blu Ray defect

A few months back I reported that the HD DVD Live in Montreux disc was "slowed up" The music was all one half tone low! I made multiple requests to Eagle Rock regarding this, they all were unanswered.
I had hopes for the Blu Ray disc that came out last week, but it is also slowed by 1/2 tone.
The standard DVD is pitch correct...
Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 PM

I disagree with the reviewer's opinion that there's no onstage chemistry. Who has counted the number of times these songs have been performed - they're in their 60's for goodness sakes!
I'm not sure why he would say that for a band
who's real content is in their music. I feel it's an excellent performance.

While the musical content is not note-for-note as the original recordings, they're all in sync / playing off each other. It may require a musicians ear and focus to pick up on this, but it is definitely there throughout the entire performance.

I almost did not purchase this because of the reviewer's comments, as I am quite particular about what I purchase. That's why I wrote this brief response.

PS: Tozo, I checked the pitch against Roundabout using a tuner and it's right on (key of E). Hmm, You and I however is about a half-step down from the original key of D. It's possible that's due to Anderson's decreased vocal range?... You are correct; the pitch of Roundabout that I first checked was the menu audio. Strange.

Audio: To be brief, IMO there is too much reverberation in both the DTS and Dolby mixes. It must have come from the original mix -not much to work with. You won't experience crisp, jump-out-at-you DTS. Most soundman can't get the levels right, sit on their hands and just let the musicians handle the dynamics.

Last edited by cinemod; 09-10-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: added content
Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 PM

So the Bluray still has the pitch off?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:02 PM

Yes it does.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 PM

Watched this the other night and what a letdown all around.....audio was weak, video was just OK, and the performance was nothing special. These guys seem washed up if this show is indicative of a typical YES show for the time period. They seemed to be out of tune at times and just loose in general.......I kept coming back to the same thought for some reason watching this cheese.......SPINAL TAP!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:27 PM

Gee. I may be an idiot, but I thought the Yes Live at Montreux blu-ray was superior to the standard DVD version. I thought the performance was strong and synergistic. I thought the sound quality on the blu-ray 5.1 mix was definitely superior to the standard DVD audio. I thought the standard DVD sounded best in 2.0 dolby, but still the blu-ray was superior. The audio just seems to come together and works better on the blu-ray. As for a half-tone slow on the blu-ray, I cannot discern a detectable tempo discretion (between the different formats) as both audio tracks are from the same show, I am assuming (maybe there where 2 shows & the blu-ray is the correct pitch). Certainly, this show is not performed at the tempo of Yes: Fragile. But, I feel it "works". As for the "skip it" conclusion by the honored critic/reviewer, I totally disagree. I think the blu-ray (audio, especially) of this show is great and the show itself is a great performance. I think it is worth the time and money to invest in this show. I bought it used in "like new" condition for about ten bucks. Yes is not for everyone and I suspect this effects/affects some opinions. Of course I think these guys are still gifted musicians and performers. Also, the show grows on you after a few listens/viewings. I feel there is a warmth and spirituality that comes through (different levels of perception). I hope this response/comment is helpful. Peace and enjoyment. JW
Old 05-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Wow they didn't even change the review, it still says "this HD-DVD edition"

C'mon now seriously...