'Kung Fu Hustle' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-06-2007, 12:56 PM
HDD Founder

Thumbs up 'Kung Fu Hustle' - High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of 'Kung Fu Hustle' is up. He's a huge fan of the film itself, and says it makes quite a respectable jump to Blu-ray, boasting 4 stars (out of 5) for both video and audio. This one is a pretty glowing review...

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/kungfuhustle.html

Last edited by jed; 03-06-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:20 PM

after reading his review about his film...I've completely lost confidence in his reviews (atleast about the movie itself) because I watched this movie couple of days back and its an OK movie......nothing to get a 5 starts for.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
after reading his review about his film...I've completely lost confidence in his reviews (atleast about the movie itself) because I watched this movie couple of days back and its an OK movie......nothing to get a 5 starts for.
Well he prefaced the review by stating that he liked Shoalin Soccer. Some people don't get into this type of movie. I know my gf and I watched it and I just loved Kung Fu Hustle and If I had a Blu-ray player this would be in my collection faster than a microsecond.

With reviewers you should never have confidence in them until you know how their taste in movies coincides with your own. You'll never agree with every reviewer but if you may be lucky enough to find one who shares your similar tastes and then you can really take heart in their reviews.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
With reviewers you should never have confidence in them until you know how their taste in movies coincides with your own. You'll never agree with every reviewer but if you may be lucky enough to find one who shares your similar tastes and then you can really take heart in their reviews.
It's unreasonable to expect a reviewer to read your mind and know your tastes. The trick is to figure out his tastes so that you can determine whether you're likely to agree with his reasoning on a particular movie or not.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:06 PM

When the movie first came out it got nothing but praise, do I don't find it surprising that he loves it.

It's an incredibly fun movie, and the blu-ray is pretty sweet, although I never got around to finishing it!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It's unreasonable to expect a reviewer to read your mind and know your tastes. The trick is to figure out his tastes so that you can determine whether you're likely to agree with his reasoning on a particular movie or not.

Exactly, that's why I usually say that Peter Travers and Richard Roeper are my two favorite movie critics. I agree with their opinions of movies more than and other critics.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
I think some people just get a crazy kick out this movie as a zany comedy. Its a five star to me, but might be a one star to someone else. I would say its a cult movie, you are either crazy about it or could care less.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:23 AM

like i always say, its best to form ones own opinions
Old 03-07-2007, 07:24 AM

A big problem with this movie is that original Mandarin audio is available only as PCM (English dub only on DD5.1). If you don't have HDMI capable receiver or analog multichannel out, there is no way to listen to the original audio in 5.1 surround.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

I have to say, I didn't enjoy this as much as Shaolin Soccer. Some of the humour was based around cartoon violence. However, whilst this violence doesn't look out of place in a cartoon, it does as a live action movie - certainly for me anyway.