Superman the Movie reviewer ON CRACK? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 PM

Default Superman the Movie reviewer ON CRACK?

I recently got this blu-ray, and I must say BOY I am pissed. 4 star video? Are you freakin serious? Are we giving it 4 stars because its an old movie and it "looks as good as it can"? The article raves about a clean print, no dirt, no issue. Unless Stevie Wonder reviewed the video, someone is WAY off base. The video is on par with Dracula and Stargate and is also in serious contention for Crappy Video Transfer of the Year (07). The colors apparently "radiate with intensity", aka over-saturation. When Clark wore his orange shirt in the beginning part of the movie *cringe* It was REALLY orange..too orange.

The sound...wow...4.5 stars?? for a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix? Again, what were you smoking when this was reviewed? LAME LAME LAME sound.

I sound pissed right? Good. I dropped $20 on this movie because of the review. I figured a that a great movie like this, getting RAVE reviews, 4 star video and almost a perfect score on sound should some redeeming value right? Maybe a little, but definately not worth an extra purchase.

MY STAR RANKING:

Overall Grade 2.5 out of 5
--------------------------------
The Movie Itself 4 out of 5
HD Video Quality 2.5 out of 5
HD Audio Quality 2 out of 5
Supplements 3 out of 5
High-Def Extras 0 out of 5

Is THAT worth running out to buy? NOPE! Cmon guys, this is the 3rd movie I bought based on your review that I was completely pissed about. If your going to review a movie, you need to get it right.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:55 AM

Blu-ray came out in 2006. I suggest taking older reviews with a grain of salt. They aren't going to look as good as recent releases. If you are disatisfied with the reviews on this site then I suggest checking out other sites and comparing reviews.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:29 AM

different reviewers have different tastes, personally i don't bother looking the star ratings on their reviews, because i know i have different opinions, i just read the review and look for high points and low points

they put a high emphasis on special features, but for me they aren't a deal breaker

if you really have a problem with their reviews maybe you need to find someone who shares your tastes
Old 02-09-2008, 07:36 AM

I have a better idea Chickengas. How about you just stop reading the reviews on this site? You constantly have problems with them. A review is a damn opinion, not a fact. If you are placing your $20 into the blind faith of another, you have nobody to blame but yourself, especially since this isn't the first time you have been angry about buying a movie based on a review here.

Oh yeah, you can't critique someone's review of audio quality if you are listening to stereo sound out of your tv speakers!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

I recommend putting your next $20 towards a Netflix subscription
Old 02-09-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
I recommend putting your next $20 towards a Netflix subscription

OWNED!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
SAMSUNG BD-UP5000
Receiver and speakers coming in the near future.
FORMAT NEUTRAL SINCE X-MAS EVE 2007
I thought the quality was pretty good considering the source and how bad the video looked in SD it was a huge improvement. That said I agree with the previous poster... how can you criticize a 5.1 audio mix when you are using a 2.0 stereo tv?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:02 AM

If you can't afford the $20, keep it in your pocket. Now if you had wasted $40 or more on the DVD, I'd understand being UNHAPPY!

Do your research & take your chances unless the product comes with a $$$ back guarantee.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 AM

I own this movie and I thought the PQ was just fine considering the age of the film. But then again, as with any review, its just my opinion. I was satisfied with my purchase.