'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford' High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 PM

Default 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford' High-Def Digest Review

Kenneth's review of "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" has been posted. He enjoyed the film, finding it very rewarding after an initially slow start. He does have problems with this Blu-ray release's compression issues, which bring the video rating down, even as the audio track faithfully serves the films intents. This is still a significant improvement over the standard edition, but you'll want to read up on this one and approach a blind purchase carefully.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1306...essejames.html

Last edited by Attebery; 02-08-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 PM

This DVD? You might want to correct that.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 PM

Wow, this is probably them most dissapointed I have been after reading a review on here. I saw this in theaters and immediately could not wait for the high def release as I loved the cinematorgraphy, but to now read that it is plagued by all these technical issues with the pic quality has me on the fence.

Any idea if the HD-DVD release might look better? (not a fanboy, I'm format neutral and simply want the best pic quality available)
Old 02-08-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Any idea if the HD-DVD release might look better? (not a fanboy, I'm format neutral and simply want the best pic quality available)
I was getting ready to say the same thing.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Wow, this is probably them most dissapointed I have been after reading a review on here. I saw this in theaters and immediately could not wait for the high def release as I loved the cinematorgraphy, but to now read that it is plagued by all these technical issues with the pic quality has me on the fence.

The HD DVD version is being released in March -- I'll get a review for that edition online as soon as we receive a copy from Warner. Although, considering their previous dual-format releases, I would imagine it would be the exact transfer with the exact problems. I doubt the delays they're attaching to the HD DVD versions will ever result in improvements to the PQ or AQ.

Thanks as always for posting!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM

Yikes....This was a blind buy for me based on my buddy's comments about the cinematography, as well.

I might have to exchange this for Gone Baby Gone next week!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
I was getting ready to say the same thing.
It will be exactly the same ported over.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 PM

Ken you're right, 25-30 GB isn't enogh for long films
Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-way View Post
Ken you're right, 25-30 GB isn't enogh for long films
i dont think this is the smackdown, that sucks i was looking forward to this, ah well will have to wait
Old 02-08-2008, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the review.

If (big if) WB double dips on this film here with significant improvements and more added special features, I'd purchase it.

I actually enjoyed the half hour documentary right after viewing the movie itself. There were quite a few bits that weren't mentioned in the film about Jesse's life. I'd mentioned some, but I don't wanna spoil it for viewers who haven't seen it.

To the foeks out there that might stray themselves away, because of the PQ (not that I disagree)...you should give it a rent for the movie itself.