'Ghost in the Shell (Japanese Import)' High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-07-2008, 01:16 PM

Default 'Ghost in the Shell (Japanese Import)' High-Def Digest Review

Josh's review 'Ghost in the Shell (Japanese Import)' is up. He doesn't really recommend this one, saying that the video is a noticeable improvement over the Region 1 DVD, but still nothing special. Audio is a distinct downgrade. This one may be for die hard fans.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1368...eshell_jp.html
Old 02-07-2008, 01:27 PM

I bought this disc a few months ago, along with a few other hugely expensive Japanese BD anime imports. I would agree with Josh's review by and large, - the movie is excellent (a 5 star movie for me) but the PQ is very poor for a BD, and the stereo audio was flat as a pancake.

Fortunately some of the other imports I picked up fare better. Josh, how about reviewing the three Patlabor movies? (1, 2, and WXIII) The first two are directed by Mamoru Oshii and really nice pieces of work. The second in particular is incredibly atmospheric and stunningly beautiful to look at. It also has a surprisingly complex political storyline. The PQ on these discs is excellent, and so clear you can see the brush strokes in the background paintings. I forget the audio specs to be honest, and sadly the discs are devoid of extras. All three have English subtitles.

I'm really waiting for the Japanese BD of AKIRA, one of my all time favourite movies. It received a mind blowing DTS audio remix a while back which I hope they will include.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Dang. I was really close to buying this import, hoping it would really benefit from a Blu-ray HD transfer. But after this review, as die hard a fan I am, I think i will wait for another version to come out first, cheaper, hopefully in the states.
I do not want to spend some $90+ on a Blu-ray that will not impress me. I can wait for another release, and if worse comes to worse, i can always get this one if the newer release is not as good.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
I bought this disc a few months ago, along with a few other hugely expensive Japanese BD anime imports. I would agree with Josh's review by and large, - the movie is excellent (a 5 star movie for me) but the PQ is very poor for a BD, and the stereo audio was flat as a pancake.

Fortunately some of the other imports I picked up fare better. Josh, how about reviewing the three Patlabor movies? (1, 2, and WXIII) The first two are directed by Mamoru Oshii and really nice pieces of work. The second in particular is incredibly atmospheric and stunningly beautiful to look at. It also has a surprisingly complex political storyline. The PQ on these discs is excellent, and so clear you can see the brush strokes in the background paintings. I forget the audio specs to be honest, and sadly the discs are devoid of extras. All three have English subtitles.

I'm really waiting for the Japanese BD of AKIRA, one of my all time favourite movies. It received a mind blowing DTS audio remix a while back which I hope they will include.
Yeah, the first two Patlabor Blu Rays are beautiful (and region Free). I don't have WXIII yet. I kept pausing the film to go up and look at the screen to admire the detail. I nearly wept. I have been a long term Patlabor fan since the 80's, and was in Japan on holidays when the first movie came out. I talked myself out of going, and feel like I've had to wait 16 years or so to finally see it in its glory.

I'll get WXIII one of these days. Just waiting for a bit of a discount somewhere... I missed a second hand copy as a store I use by a matter of days. <kicks self hard>. I was considering Ghost in the Shell also, but the PQ sounds lousy. My PAL remaster might be better.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 PM

I won't spend a dime on this. I hate Japanese anime....
Old 02-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRedBullFan View Post
Seems like you already made your decision before even reading the review. So why are you posting here?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Im not a fan of anime either.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 PM

This was one I was looking forward to
Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
About the only thing in your post I agree with you is your sig
Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotatsu Neko View Post
Fortunately some of the other imports I picked up fare better. Josh, how about reviewing the three Patlabor movies?
I've considered ordering 1 & 2, but these things are so pricey that it probably won't be soon. Your comments about the PQ have me intrigued, though.

The last time I watched Patlabor 2 was the non-anamorphic DVD.