Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default 'The Brave One' High-Def Digest Review

Just posted Peter's review of 'The Brave One.' He was disappointed by the film, but says this Blu-ray release has great audio and video tracks, along with an uninspired supplemental package. All in all, he's not so enthused about the flick, but says it might be worth a rental.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1241/braveone.html

BostonMA is offline Member

didnt feel like seeing this film. looked like a below average revenge flick, but i do like terrence howard, he seemed like he did a good job in the film.

PIHB is offline Member

Jimbo976 is offline Member

I'll go rent it on Tuesday. Thanks for the review.
    "There will not be a 400 dollar ps3. God, that's like the titanic running into another iceberg... Stop your FUD."
    Treadstone

tsb
    tsb is offline Member

'The Brave One' also wallows in the stuff it is supposedly rallying against. To his credit, Jordan doesn't linger on the gore, but he subtly stokes the audience's hunger for brutality by staging Erica's vigilante activities as crowd-pleasing moments. The effect is morally bothersome. It's fine that the film asks us to decide if Erica is a hero or a villain, and lets us debate the sanctity of her actions, but to do it by creating rah-rah moments, with Foster shooting hoods on subways, while other characters deliver long, laborious speeches decrying the very same violence, just feels false.
    more Bracke moral BS

is he becoming one of those religious nut jobs?

does he have to complain about some morality issue in every release?

we don't care about the depictions of women, gays, non-native english speakers and the like

couldn't he just say the contrast between the depiction of Foster's violence and the film's focus on decrying this violence feels false without getting into morality or spoilers?
    Mediocrity on HDM must be stopped.

2.5 outta 5 for the movie itself??? Wow, that is VERY generous of you Peter, considering that this movie was absolute crap from beginning to finish. What's up with all these vigilante movies anyway? This one, that one that Kevin Bacon was in recently, etc. Looks like the writers are running out of good ideas these days for good flicks. I remember seeing the commercials for this on TV...and they were awful. I'm gonna pass on this one. There's much better films to see out there.

Sunny is offline Member

Let me put this in short:

-Jodie Foster is an UNBELIEVABLE actress. Terrence Howard is almost as good.
    -the movie itself was crap. The story has been done 100 times before. Parts were unrealistic, cheesy, etc. The movie does portray a message about finding your inner strength, but it's exaggerated and using guns as self-defense is a bad example.

Might be worth a download, but not a purchase.
    Sell me your used BDs!!
    PSN: KillaWabbit
    My old-skool setup:
    Sony E50A10
    Onkyo SR605 @ 5.1 using HDMI
    Sony PS3 60gb, Verizon FIOS programming w/ 160gb DVR
    KEF floor/center speakers, Boston Acoustics bookshelf surround, Mirage cube subwoofer
    Sennheiser RS130 wireless headphones
    iJoy 250 massage chair w/ foot massager

Dang. I'll cancel this one asap. I love Neil Jordan' stuff but I guess he missed the ball with The Brave One.

I'll stick to Death Sentence instead--I wonder when that one hits the stores on BD?

-cheez avenger

Sky_Captain is offline Member

Jodie Foster plays the victim AGAIN!! After the shit that was Flightplan, etc and now this, she should maybe fire her agent. I know this wants to be a female Death Wish, but it's not fit to lick that movie's boots. Terrence Howard chews the scenery as usual, he deserves better than this shit and Naveen Andrews should stick to Lost as based on this and Planet Terror, he can't cut it on the big screen. Try and spot Foster's body double during the groping/lovemaking flashbacks. Jodie Foster WISHES she looked like that!! I post this not to troll, but to spare others the pain that I went through.
    "You and me are done, professionally"

I got this early on Blu-Ray last night (I work at Blockbuster, so we get films early.) Contrary to the review, the 22 minute featurette is presented in 1080i. I watched it all last night. The Deleted Scenes are in 4x3 480p. That does suck though.

underoath is offline Member

i'm buying this...it's definitely not a great movie, but there is something about the combination of jodie foster and the sarah mclachlan song (answer) used in the movie. it really took me when i was in the theatre, and i want to experience that again

ben1080p is offline Member

Not a hugee Jodie Foster fan.
    Although,, I am an action fan.
    Will give this a rent non the less.
    Format Neutral
    BD:78 HD:85

Arch-Nemesis: ben1080i

Quote Originally Posted by dannyschmanny View Post
    epic ben1080p.......f***ing ....epic.
    Yea..im that awesome.

d0uble0se7en is offline Member

apparently I'm in the minority here but i'll gladly step up and defend this movie.

granted, i do admit that jodie foster is my favorite actress and therefore I enjoyed it that much more, but frankly i think it was a good look at the conflict of good and evil one has within oneself. i could relate even not being in her extreme situations. i thought it was great. and the end wasn't a cop out to me

gamma626 is offline Member

somebody message me this so called 'twist'
    Currently Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 2, RE: Revelations (Raid Mode), Doom, DMC4 Special Edition, Fallout Shelter
    Pre-Orders: Octopath Traveler, Spider-Man, Spyro Re-ignited, Assassin's Creed Odyssey Kassandra Collectors Edition, Resident Evil 2 REmake Deluxe Edition
    PSN: Gammagoll
    Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
    You have just been blessed with the power of awesomeness.

valmont74 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by that1guypictures View Post
    I got this early on Blu-Ray last night (I work at Blockbuster, so we get films early.) Contrary to the review, the 22 minute featurette is presented in 1080i. I watched it all last night. The Deleted Scenes are in 4x3 480p. That does suck though.
    Can you tell me if the english subtitles are regular or SDH, or perhaps if both sets are available?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast