ok so I am thinking of getting a PS3 next boxing day - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-02-2007, 02:07 AM

Default ok so I am thinking of getting a PS3 next boxing day

Ok, I have a HD DVD player and I am going to be honest it is amazing...I am completely impressed with it. Most of my sd movies are WB and Universal......I do have some Miramax/DIMENSION AND Fox...Almost all of my GF 's movies are Disney and Fox......Sound of Music, Moulin Rouge, Chicago, Bonds...etc...Anyways she loves her movies like I do so I am thinking of getting us a PS3 to play BD on Boxing Day next year most likely it will be 400 here in BC as they are not selling here(ones on shelf right now at BB). My problem is that I have looked at your line up and I can count the titles I want right now on ONE hand. But I am wondering do you guys think Fox will go both formats, even if bd wins a couple years from now......Should I wait or Buy this xmas.........I want honest answers no fanboy CRAP!...Thanks!

Last edited by redbawlz; 03-02-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:19 AM

Well. here is the deal. Fox would only go both formats if Blu-ray loses. Remember, Fox is a huge supporter of the Blu-ray camp so once HD-DVD loses, they would be fools to then go invest in a dead format, to make the transfers, put them on the DVD's, distribute them. If anything, they would be pressuring stores to take them off the shelves asap to clear more room for Blu-ray.

Heres how I see it. If you only see 1-5 Blu-ray movies max you want, save yourself $600 plus accessories. But if you see "hey, there is a few movies out and few more that are coming out and im starting to pickup interest" why not. Atleast then you will have yourself a player, no matter what the format and you will have yourself a nice gaming machine in case any PS3 games catch your eye
Old 03-02-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Well. here is the deal. Fox would only go both formats if Blu-ray loses. Remember, Fox is a huge supporter of the Blu-ray camp so once HD-DVD loses, they would be fools to then go invest in a dead format, to make the transfers, put them on the DVD's, distribute them. If anything, they would be pressuring stores to take them off the shelves asap to clear more room for Blu-ray.

Heres how I see it. If you only see 1-5 Blu-ray movies max you want, save yourself $600 plus accessories. But if you see "hey, there is a few movies out and few more that are coming out and im starting to pickup interest" why not. Atleast then you will have yourself a player, no matter what the format and you will have yourself a nice gaming machine in case any PS3 games catch your eye
Yeah I think I might just watch till boxing day...if Fox goes dual format by then I will not get a PS3, however if they do not go dual I will get a PS3........Is there anything the cheaper PS3 is lacking?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:20 PM

The PS3 is an excellent Blu Ray Player
Old 03-03-2007, 05:05 AM

If there are only a few titles you are interested in (I'm in the same boat) I would hold out until CES 2008. Especially if money is an issue. At least by then it should be more clear as to whether or not HD-DVD is still a strong competitor to Blu-Ray. If they are, Fox could go neutral. Unlikely, but never impossible. Sony is the only Impossibility when it comes to going neutral (IMHO).
Also, I would expect by then that prices should drop substantially.

I'm trying to give you my honest opinion. And NOBODY has enough information at this point to say that one side will win or lose. That is just Fact. Both formats may co-exist for years. I think your best bet would be to wait for ANY studio to go neutral before making a decision. Unless of course money is not an issue and you like video games. In that case I would probably go for it.