'A Passage to India' - pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2008, 03:23 PM
PeterB

Default 'A Passage to India' - pre-release buzz

Sony has announced their latest catalog release to retail:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/passagetoindia.html

No specs yet aside from the usual 1080p video, though the previous DVD didn't have much in the way of extras, so I doubt there will be much on the blu-ray, either.

Hopefully, though, this is a good sign that 'Lawrence of Arabia' is on the way, too...

Street date is April 15, and retail $28.95.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Yawn. Lesser Lean (pardon the pun).

I'm with you Peter -- where is the promised and promo'd Lawrence of Arabia? The few scant seconds that are shown as a promo on some of the Sony Blu-ray movies looked stunning.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post

I'm with you Peter -- where is the promised and promo'd Lawrence of Arabia? The few scant seconds that are shown as a promo on some of the Sony Blu-ray movies looked stunning.
I've already posted this somewhere else but this year Sony plans to release:
The Guns of Navarone (1961) - first half of the year
A Passage to India (1984) - first half of the year
Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - second half of the year
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - second half of the year
Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post
One Blu-ray inside mentioned on another forum that Gandhi may be released this year on Blu-ray and that maybe Lawrence of Arabia would not be until 2009.

I would love to have Gandhi and the 4 you mention at any time though on Blu-ray.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:02 PM

I just want Lawrence of Arabia on BD, haven't seen the film in years and would love to see it in full 1080p. I'm not a big fan of this film though.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post
On the blu-ray.com insiders thread, there is a Sony insider who says the Lawrence master is finished but it will not be coming this year because Sony is just letting it sit and has not even chosen extras for it and is basically doing nothing with it. The only title he mentioned for the year was Ghandi which Sony will make a big deal out of, and frankly, while it's a great movie, I don't get it, why not the ones you listed?. Where did you hear this? You can read these insider threads on the forums there, there's a special section for them and you can ask questions.

I really wish studios other than Warner would realize that alot of us do like the classics and it would be nice to have a few more. Fox finally is releasing Sand Pebbles, Longest Day and Patton for Father's day, so that's really good news. I sure would be a happy camper with The Sound of Music in DTS Master audio. Drool!

I thought Passage to India was a rather good film and certainly should look great with all the great photography.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:32 PM

I love this movie and cannot wait to see how this looks!!
Of course everybody is waiting for the "big guns", but this will do just fine for the moment.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
A tribute to how great of a director David Lean was, is the fact that his "lesser" movies still outshine most films released.

Looking forward to this one, and his "greater" films that will be released in the future.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:12 PM

This one's still on my DVD wishlist. Looks like I'll be waiting for the BD instead now
Old 01-30-2008, 06:21 PM

"Passage to India" was a great film with terrific performances by Alec Guinness and Peggy Ashcroft. Thanks, Sony. Now I'll look forward to Guns of Navarone also promised for the first half of this year.