Showtime Dexter Blu-ray?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-28-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Showtime Dexter Blu-ray??

Does anyone know if Dexter will be coming to Blu-Ray? I love this show but i have found no info on it even coming to DVD in the near future.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 PM

TV releases I think are a small draw because they dont account for HUGE sales compared to DVD and once on Blu-ray for example, the boxsets will post $100+ price tag. With that in mind, its hard to justify its release.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:24 AM

no, HD-DVD!!

I really hope its HD-DVD.

the only info I can find is its made by showtime and fx. Fx is a part of fox, who is only releasing for blu-ray at the moment, so maybe that means you'll get your wish, when and if it gets released.

But I can't see why they wouldn't-- despite illegal prelude's post, I think tv on next gen is a no-brainer.

They're all filmed in hd these days, so the transfer is a snap, and since tv is one of the biggest and fastest growing rental and purchase genres on dvd format right now, I find it hard to believe we won't be seeing a whole slew of tv in hi-def when this year's shows are released on disc.

On one format or another, releases have been mentioned for Dead zone, deadwood, sopranos, and Battlestar's recently been confirmed, and now there are strong rumors of Heroes and supernatural, to add to the already released smallville and sopranos-- I think tv on next gen is just barely getting started.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brechtsky View Post
no, HD-DVD!!

I really hope its HD-DVD.

the only info I can find is its made by showtime and fx. Fx is a part of fox, who is only releasing for blu-ray at the moment, so maybe that means you'll get your wish, when and if it gets released.

But I can't see why they wouldn't-- despite illegal prelude's post, I think tv on next gen is a no-brainer.

They're all filmed in hd these days, so the transfer is a snap, and since tv is one of the biggest and fastest growing rental and purchase genres on dvd format right now, I find it hard to believe we won't be seeing a whole slew of tv in hi-def when this year's shows are released on disc.

On one format or another, releases have been mentioned for Dead zone, deadwood, sopranos, and Battlestar's recently been confirmed, and now there are strong rumors of Heroes and supernatural, to add to the already released smallville and sopranos-- I think tv on next gen is just barely getting started.

Like you said, its a Fox show so its going to be released on Blu-ray.

What does that even mean that the show in HD? All movies that are filmed are beyond HD and not everything gets picked up. Now, the biggest reason we wont see TV shows in HD release for a while is because of the cost. People dont wanna pay that much for just TV shows. Once prices drop, yes.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:05 PM

why don't they want to pay that much-- Because you say so?

And what I mean is that the transfer of the source to HD resolution is non-existent because it's already been put through that for the tv airings, and theyre not working off a master print that they go back to for final prints, they just copy the HD tapes and theres no loss-- so manipulating it in post-production and dvd production is not as costly or time-consuming as when working from a film print.

I also don't know what your fox/blu-ray comment is supposed to mean, since I was responding to the TC, I had just said that, and you never even mentioned the likelihood of it being released on blu-ray vs hd-dvd.

... and the reason I even discuss this on blu-ray threads is because this thread was originally in the hd-dvd thread, and was moved.

Last edited by brechtsky; 03-04-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:36 PM

Also, where are you getting this 100 dollar or more tag? Its not like the dvd's on tv are priced per disc, so why would blu-ray? I mean a tv season on dvd with six discs isn't 120 dollars (6 discs x 20 bucks)-- They reduce the price when you buy in bulk, or maybe just cause you're committing so much at once--either way, if what you are saying is true, tv on dvd would be at ridiculous prices already (since they charge per disc manufacturing costs according to you).

I know Blu-ray's obviously more expensive to manufacture per disc than dvds, but I still find it near impossible to believe a tv season on next gen will be over 100 bucks, or held off from being released until prices for manufacturing are less. As I said, tv on dvd purchases and rentals are the biggest mover and shaker in the format, and probably since long before it as well.

Go to a blockbuster, or check netflix-- their most abundant new sections are all TV-- hell even check the dvd release calendars-- more and more tv shows are released every week, ranging from ones that got canceled 30 years ago, to ones that are still airing-- Obviously tv on dvd is a smart move, or long-dormant shows wouldn't be getting dusted off every week (since they're profit margins are smaller since the shows have often long been over and are mostly forgotten).

Now don't get me wrong, I think they will be more expensive, since everything on the format is-- I just don't think a straight price multiplication like that it correct, and I find it hard to believe the price difference will be 2-3 times as much as dvd's counterpart, when thats only the case with the most expensive blu-rays right now, and certainly NOT the case with the cheaper to make HD-DVDs.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:08 PM

Last edited by illegalprelude; 03-04-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:41 PM

/davisdvd.com/news/television.html

Quote:
Paramount Home Entertainment has announced Dexter: The First Season for release on August 21st. Showtime's hit new drama series arrives to DVD with all twelve one-hour episodes presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. Extras on the four-disc set include two audio commentary tracks by the cast, "The Academy of Blood: A Killer Course" featurette, two bonus episodes of the Showtime series "Brotherhood" and something called "N Technology" featuring a free Showtime series episodic download and a consumer sweepstakes for a Sony HD television & more. Retail is $42.99.