'Monty Python's Life of Brian' High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2008, 01:08 PM

Default 'Monty Python's Life of Brian' High-Def Digest Review

Just posted Kenneth's review of 'Monty Python's Life of Brian.' He considers the film one of the greatest comedies of all time, and says this blu-ray release boasts an above average video transfer and a thorough collection of supplements. While sound is disappointing, he says this is still a good remaster of a problematic source. Fans looking for an upgrade are sure to be pleased with what Sony has accomplished with this release.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1100...feofbrian.html
Old 01-25-2008, 01:18 PM

Why did they include both uncompressed PCM and TrueHD? If they are going to include PCM, then why bother with TrueHD?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:24 PM

different players have different abilities regarding decoding, bitstreaming etc. etc.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 PM

That just sealed the deal, I will be picking this up on Tuesday.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 PM

honestly, i've never seen this movie, but i was always intrigued by the box art when i pass by the dvd in the video store...

how does it hold up against recent comedies...worthy of blind buy?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Strange, I have owned this on Blu-ray since December. I bought it new for 14 from Gamestation in the UK...

Another curious thing, is the bookmark feature seems to be non-working on my PS3 with latest firmware. Anyone else confirm this???
Old 01-25-2008, 03:44 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Did you think they offered enough subtitle options???
Old 01-25-2008, 04:29 PM

OMG look at all those subtitles.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Lavigne View Post
OMG look at all those subtitles.
It's a mistake. They listed some of them more than 3 times.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the review Kenneth. You said: "Unfortunately, the film's lackluster and troublesome source seems to have prevented the studio from turning out a perfect visual experience. "

I expect that will be the norm with alot of classic movies. I think it is all going to depend on the condition of the source material, how popular the classic is, and how much is the studio willing to spend on each title to get the best transfer, and it's going to be a crap-shoot certainly with anything before the 70's. I have however seen many classic films in hd on channels like HDnetmovies and Cinemax and I am surprised at how great some of them look, so we are in for a few treats when they get to high def disc. Dish Network's hd is great but there's no comparing it to 1080p with uncompressed sound. I am glad to read that the disc looks great, this is a definite buy for me. I also agree with you that this will make up for the awful Meaning of Life transfer. That was a huge disappointment and my dvd looks about the same as the hd-dvd (which I saw at my friend's home). He felt ripped off on that one.

As for the sound, I havn't heard many films from the late 70's that sound spectacular, and I am sure the sound budjet on this one was not all that high. It's too bad that for these high def releases, more studios aren't going back to original master tapes and re-doing the soundtracks. I am sure the stereo music masters exist (hopefully). Paramount has done a decent job on some of those remasters of mono films from the late 60's and early 70's, I wish other studios would follow suit.