'Brothers Grimm' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-23-2007, 12:32 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Brothers Grimm' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'The Brothers Grimm' is up, and while he generally likes Terry Gilliam flicks, this one feel short for him. On the bright side, it's a perfectly fine Blu-ray release, boasting 4.5 (out of 5) stars for both audio and video. So if you like the film, this one's certainly worth picking up.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/brothersgrimm.html
Old 02-23-2007, 04:11 AM

I picked this one up way back in November, I knew this transfer was excellent back then and this confirms it.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:50 AM

to get this or not cause i saw it in theaters and i loved it. never got it on DVD
Old 02-23-2007, 08:35 AM

I tend to agree with Chad Varnadore's review at the home spot theater about the inconsistencies in black levels:

"This is a disc I would like to see something like a THX optimizer for, so we know exactly how to match the black levels of our displays to the encoding. Itís the third time Iíve seen the film and I still am not certain of itís intended look. It looked severely washed on film, theatrically. It looked washed on DVD with a Marantz DLP at 3500:1 on/off contrast ratio. And it looks washed here with a Sony SXRD at 16,000:1 on/off CR. But, even with the high black levels, this time I was amazed by what I saw.??

Like the DVD, in the end I decided dropping black levels was a worthwhile trade off to achieve the depth of black the eye wants and expects to see in video like this. Doing so youíll loose a lot of shadow detail. But, this one has plenty to spare. Even when lowering brightness only about half as much as was needed to make blacks look deep, delineation in shadow was still impeccable. And surprisingly, even when lowered to the necessary levels, which is quite an adjustment of the scale, the video still looked natural, only deeper, allowing its bold highlights to further enhance the incredible sense of depth to the photography that is apparent regardless of what brightness setting you choose."
Old 02-23-2007, 12:42 PM

I'm getting this tomorrow.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:37 PM

I love europe!!! I bought this movie in hd-dvd back in december
Old 02-23-2007, 06:33 PM

Good for you "???"
Now go back to the other side.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM

nuts, i didn't enjoy this film, but I'm happy it got a awesome transfer to BD for the fans.