Gonna use Stargate as a coaster... - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:25 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Default Gonna use Stargate as a coaster...

I'm a bit peeved. I thought Hi-Def Digest reviews were reliable, so when they rated Stargate as 4/5 for PQ I decided to buy it for 14.99 on sale.

Was NOT worth the money. Looks possibly worse than the DVD.

How could they give this film a 4/5 in picture quality? The grain was so bad I felt like I was watching a dubbed VHS copy at times. I'd give the picture quality a 2/5, and that's being generous.

Was this a fluke, and can I trust the reviews on this site?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Blu-News.com's Avatar
Always SpartanJohnson
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,543
Default

One of the most off reviews on this site, they are usually pretty reliable. I agree though, this looked bad. At least you got it on sale right?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 311
Default

Stargate was an early release and the early Blu Ray releases are pretty poor all around. Basically, Stargate was a one-eye'd man in the land of the blind thus earning it the high score. Punisher is another movie that fits this bill.

If HDD re-reviewed it today, it would probably get a 2.5/5
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Nightfury82's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,681
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastelander View Post
I'm a bit peeved. I thought Hi-Def Digest reviews were reliable, so when they rated Stargate as 4/5 for PQ I decided to buy it for 14.99 on sale.

Was NOT worth the money. Looks possibly worse than the DVD.

How could they give this film a 4/5 in picture quality? The grain was so bad I felt like I was watching a dubbed VHS copy at times. I'd give the picture quality a 2/5, and that's being generous.

Was this a fluke, and can I trust the reviews on this site?

Haven't seen the movie on Blu but I trust the reviews on this site for the most part. Have you watched any other Blu movies with your current TV settings?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:38 PM
DSmalls84's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 757
Default

Well at least it has kurt Russel.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Haven't seen the movie on Blu but I trust the reviews on this site for the most part. Have you watched any other Blu movies with your current TV settings?
Yes, I have many titles, and some look absolutely stunning, like Pan's Labyrinth, and even 2001 Space Odyssey.

When I popped in Stargate and began to watch it I was thinking maybe something was wrong, but I researched further online and many are saying Stargate is one of the worst Blu-Rays available in terms of PQ. I guess I should have researched this BEFORE buying it instead of going just by the review on here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastelander View Post
Yes, I have many titles, and some look absolutely stunning, like Pan's Labyrinth, and even 2001 Space Odyssey.

When I popped in Stargate and began to watch it I was thinking maybe something was wrong, but I researched further online and many are saying Stargate is one of the worst Blu-Rays available in terms of PQ. I guess I should have researched this BEFORE buying it instead of going just by the review on here.
Or check the review date. If it's earlier than about summer 07 then you cannot compare the score to that of today's releases. There's no easy way to do it but I'd take off 1 star for PQ and AQ on each disk reviewed before the summer of 07 IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmalls84 View Post
Well at least it has kurt Russel.
Bring on Snake Plissken!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,462
Default

waste, if you're unsatisfied, you should post a thread in the trade forum and try to get a different title instead, one that you may be satisfied with. There's no reason to be unhappy w/ anything. (no i'm not soliciting for purchase for myself)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Snadinator's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19,563
Default

Then the studio should hear from everyone and force them to pull off what they did with "The Fifth Element"...

If no one complains, they won't care.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Planet Coaster (PC)' - High-Def Digest Review Brian Hoss Game Room 1 11-24-2016 09:23 AM
American Internet Use Catches Up With TV Use chipvideo High Definition Smackdown 7 12-20-2010 12:59 AM
Direct Mode for Movies on my receiver...To use or not to use? ridergroov1 Home Theater Gear 24 06-17-2010 09:29 AM
anyone have a pineapple express digital code there not gonna use utl768 Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 01-06-2009 08:50 PM
Is There Gonna Be A Patch For The Use of BD-J on the Samsung BD-P1000??????? BostonMA Blu-ray Software General Discussion 6 03-27-2007 07:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off