Gonna use Stargate as a coaster... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-11-2008, 09:25 PM

Default Gonna use Stargate as a coaster...

I'm a bit peeved. I thought Hi-Def Digest reviews were reliable, so when they rated Stargate as 4/5 for PQ I decided to buy it for 14.99 on sale.

Was NOT worth the money. Looks possibly worse than the DVD.

How could they give this film a 4/5 in picture quality? The grain was so bad I felt like I was watching a dubbed VHS copy at times. I'd give the picture quality a 2/5, and that's being generous.

Was this a fluke, and can I trust the reviews on this site?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

One of the most off reviews on this site, they are usually pretty reliable. I agree though, this looked bad. At least you got it on sale right?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Stargate was an early release and the early Blu Ray releases are pretty poor all around. Basically, Stargate was a one-eye'd man in the land of the blind thus earning it the high score. Punisher is another movie that fits this bill.

If HDD re-reviewed it today, it would probably get a 2.5/5
Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastelander View Post
I'm a bit peeved. I thought Hi-Def Digest reviews were reliable, so when they rated Stargate as 4/5 for PQ I decided to buy it for 14.99 on sale.

Was NOT worth the money. Looks possibly worse than the DVD.

How could they give this film a 4/5 in picture quality? The grain was so bad I felt like I was watching a dubbed VHS copy at times. I'd give the picture quality a 2/5, and that's being generous.

Was this a fluke, and can I trust the reviews on this site?

Haven't seen the movie on Blu but I trust the reviews on this site for the most part. Have you watched any other Blu movies with your current TV settings?
Old 01-11-2008, 09:38 PM

Well at least it has kurt Russel.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Haven't seen the movie on Blu but I trust the reviews on this site for the most part. Have you watched any other Blu movies with your current TV settings?
Yes, I have many titles, and some look absolutely stunning, like Pan's Labyrinth, and even 2001 Space Odyssey.

When I popped in Stargate and began to watch it I was thinking maybe something was wrong, but I researched further online and many are saying Stargate is one of the worst Blu-Rays available in terms of PQ. I guess I should have researched this BEFORE buying it instead of going just by the review on here.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastelander View Post
Yes, I have many titles, and some look absolutely stunning, like Pan's Labyrinth, and even 2001 Space Odyssey.

When I popped in Stargate and began to watch it I was thinking maybe something was wrong, but I researched further online and many are saying Stargate is one of the worst Blu-Rays available in terms of PQ. I guess I should have researched this BEFORE buying it instead of going just by the review on here.
Or check the review date. If it's earlier than about summer 07 then you cannot compare the score to that of today's releases. There's no easy way to do it but I'd take off 1 star for PQ and AQ on each disk reviewed before the summer of 07 IMO.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmalls84 View Post
Well at least it has kurt Russel.
Bring on Snake Plissken!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Former Member

waste, if you're unsatisfied, you should post a thread in the trade forum and try to get a different title instead, one that you may be satisfied with. There's no reason to be unhappy w/ anything. (no i'm not soliciting for purchase for myself)
Old 01-11-2008, 10:25 PM

Then the studio should hear from everyone and force them to pull off what they did with "The Fifth Element"...

If no one complains, they won't care.