dvd/hi def comparison thread - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 AM

Default dvd/hi def comparison thread

hello-

i'm new here and would like to get people's opinions/consensus on the comparative quality of various dvds/blu ray/hd dvd in an easy listed form. for example:

blu ray robocop is no better than dvd robocop and has no extras (so give it a pass)

blu ray/hd dvd blade runner annihilates dvd version. must buy

blu ray close encounters blows old dvd away.

hd dvd big lebowski puts dvd to shame.

etc.

just an easy reference guide to see which discs are worthwhile and which ones don't exploit the benefits of HD enough to warrant a purchase. so far, i've been sorely disappointed in the HD counterparts of robocop, total recall, and the terminator, but have found the big lebowski, blade runner, close encounters and 2001 to be totally worth the upgrade.

if you can't tell, i'm format neutral.

thanks -
Old 01-11-2008, 02:33 AM

not to be rude or anything but you can pretty much look at the reviews and see if they would be worth getting.

Now if we can post some pictures of the comparison that would be worth it.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:27 AM

understood, but my thinking was that this could serve as a quick reference guide -- fast and to the point. plus, it would serve as a consensus rather than just one person's opinion. i've found that with all the variations in a/v equipment, one reviewer may see a movie much different than another...so it helps to get many opinions at once.

for example, i bought the terminator based on peter bracke's review (not to slight him, whatsoever) and was very disappointed. my old dvd looked virtually identical and had more extras and a better menu (not to mention the fact that it loads in like 3 seconds versus 90). i think if i'd seen multiple opinions/vidcaps it would have prevented this purchase.

i know there are sites such as DVD Basen that have reviews compiled, but i thought this thread might be a nice one-stop quick reference guide.

oh well...just a thought.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:29 AM
HD Adult Movie Enthusiast

shouldn't this be under general discussion?
Old 01-11-2008, 08:55 AM

you've all been a great help.