Whats a Better Transfer? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Whats a Better Transfer?

Vc or Mpeg? I notice on the specs on Bluray say either VC or MPEG, whas the difference?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodified View Post
Vc or Mpeg? I notice on the specs on Bluray say either VC or MPEG, whas the difference?
Either codec is perfectly capable of delivering a reference quality picture, or an absolutely horrible picture, depending on how well the work is done. You should worry less about the specs on the packaging and more about how the movie actually looks to your eye.

Read this:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...._Reality/1096
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:54 AM

Also, transfers are a separete issue from compression. The short version is the transfer is what they're compressing.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 AM

VC-1 is the best (sharpest, most clarity), AVC is also good for some movies
Old 01-10-2008, 02:24 AM

I would agree that generally... AVC/VC1 are the best. But not always true as it does depend on the author. Just like generally... TrueHD and LPCM are the best over DD+ in audio, but it does depend on the author. My experience has been that, although Shooter looks slightly better on hd-dvd(AVC/mpeg4) encode, the mpeg2 on blu-ray still looks really good but is less efficient versus it's counterparts and takes up more space. On the other hand, most/majority of the mpeg2 titles have been a disappointment to me such seeing the example of what a mpeg2/mpeg4 upgrade on The Fifth Element. I believe the BDA know about mpeg2 and this is why you see less of them than in the past. So if people see something come out in mpeg2 now, they take a double look and hope it will look good. I might be wrong, that is just the way I have experienced it.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM

The only studio that still uses MPEG2 is Fox. They have alot of old transfers lying around and they won't be bothered to redo them. Sony might have a few lying around as well but I believe that they would redo it if it is bad. However the majority of Fox's MPEG2 releases are on BD25 while Sony's latest MPEG2 releases are on BD50.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 AM

"Kingdom of Heaven: Directors Cut" on Blu-ray from Fox was encoded as MPEG2 and it's my reference disk. I have nothing else on either blu-ray or HD DVD that matches it.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
"Kingdom of Heaven: Directors Cut" on Blu-ray from Fox was encoded as MPEG2 and it's my reference disk. I have nothing else on either blu-ray or HD DVD that matches it.
Its on a BD50. But no one is doubting MPEG2 on a 50GB disc. VC-1 or AVC can achieve the same results with much less space.