Ok Warner, need Phantom of the Opera with lossless and Forbidden Planet on blu... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 PM

Default Ok Warner, need Phantom of the Opera with lossless and Forbidden Planet on blu...

Two discs I might still need to get on HD DVD, unless Warner plans to release (re-release Phantom) sometime soon. Anyone know?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post
Two discs I might still need to get on HD DVD, unless Warner plans to release (re-release Phantom) sometime soon. Anyone know?
Fat chance of Planet coming anytime soon IMO. It doesn't mesh with the tastes of PS3 owners.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 PM

Well, here in Europe we have already the Phantom of the Opera with DTS-HD MA, but only in German. The English Track is for this Blueray DTS-HD.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
Fat chance of Planet coming anytime soon IMO. It doesn't mesh with the tastes of PS3 owners.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Wrong forum bucko, take that shit to Smackdown.

Anyway the Japanese Region A release of Phantom of the Opera has both LPCM and DolbyTrueHD. That is an alternative to the US Region A release and the European Region B releases.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superking View Post
Wrong forum bucko, take that shit to Smackdown.

Anyway the Japanese Region A release of Phantom of the Opera has both LPCM and DolbyTrueHD. That is an alternative to the US Region A release and the European Region B releases.
Sorry I should've corrected and said most. MOST don't like the classics, really old stuff. People haven't disagreed with me on that either. I'm not saying they aren't there, just most have been on HD DVD. Granted with the Warner announcement that may change but I don't see them just JUMPING to bring out "Forbidden Planet" here or a U.S. release of "Casablanca".
Old 01-10-2008, 12:46 AM

correct me if i am wrong but PoTO has truehd audio on the hd dvd version, does it not on blu ray?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHB View Post
correct me if i am wrong but PoTO has truehd audio on the hd dvd version, does it not on blu ray?
Only on the Japanese Region A release, the domestic Region A only has DD5.1 @ 640kbps.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:49 AM

I just watched the movie today. It has wonderful video and a very good audio mix but alas it is a 640k DD 5.1 mix. Why it does not have the TrueHD track found on the HD DVD is beyond me. If they do release a new one they should have a disc replacement program. Phantom is one of my favorite movies and I felt that I got robbed because I went BD instead of HD DVD.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Sorry I should've corrected and said most. MOST don't like the classics, really old stuff. People haven't disagreed with me on that either. I'm not saying they aren't there, just most have been on HD DVD. Granted with the Warner announcement that may change but I don't see them just JUMPING to bring out "Forbidden Planet" here or a U.S. release of "Casablanca".
What it really comes down to is, and I've said this in other threads, Warner will eventually release these titles but, don't hold your breath for these titles anytime soon. Titles like The Matrix or Batman Begins are much higher on the release table.

It has nothing to do with "the PS3 crowd" or any of that crap. Casablanca, Forbidden Planet or other classics like The Adventures of Robin Hood sold horribly on HD DVD. Warner probably doesn't want to waste the time or effort releasing it on BD to sell maybe a few hundred copies. They'd much rather spend that time and effort into titles that will actually sell something (like the aforementioned Batman Begins.)