The Devils Rejects on BD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Has Anyone Seen This??

I read somewhere that the BD for "The Devils Rejects" isn't much different than the DVD. I just wondered if anyone here has seen both and could tell me whether or not I'd be wasting my money by buying it again.

Thanks!

Last edited by MrGone313; 02-19-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:00 PM

Thumbs up

I have to say first off that I really love this movie.

I haven't seen the dvd version but I do own the blu-ray version. To me it was worth the purchase. There is intended grain in the film here and there but the picture quality is generally VERY sharp. It comes with DTS HD High Resolution ES audio track which is very good. The ambient sounds are never over bearing and the music sounds great also the voice track is done well as I never had to fiddle with the level of my center speaker. I think all the extras are the same as the dvd but I'd have to say the if you like this movie as much as I do, then this is the definitive version to have.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 AM

Just finished watching this. It is an upgrade both video & audio wise...

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

HD Video - 9/10
HD Audio Dolby Digital - 9/10
HD Audio dts - 8/10

I hate intentional grain. That be said, it works quite well for this type of flick. Distinguishing what is & what is not intentional film grain in HD is much more easily done than standard-def. So occasionally, I saw some impressive three dimensional looking images, but not many. Blacks were solid during dim-light scenes & excellent color all around, especially during daylight exteriors. For the most part, I was impressed by the consistency of the picture quality. I guess the real shocker with this transfer isn't the video but the audio. I found that the dolby digital track produced clearer vocals, heavier LFE than the dts track. Even audible output was mixed louder. Switching between the 2 tracks during random scenes, I found the surrounds were on par with each soundtrack. The "Reject's Road" scene was worth the purchase alone. Good stuff.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krammer View Post
Just finished watching this. It is an upgrade both video & audio wise...

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

HD Video - 9/10
HD Audio Dolby Digital - 9/10
HD Audio dts - 8/10

I hate intentional grain. That be said, it works quite well for this type of flick. Distinguishing what is & what is not intentional film grain in HD is much more easily done than standard-def. So occasionally, I saw some impressive three dimensional looking images, but not many. Blacks were solid during dim-light scenes & excellent color all around, especially during daylight exteriors. For the most part, I was impressed by the consistency of the picture quality. I guess the real shocker with this transfer isn't the video but the audio. I found that the dolby digital track produced clearer vocals, heavier LFE than the dts track. Even audible output was mixed louder. Switching between the 2 tracks during random scenes, I found the surrounds were on par with each soundtrack. The "Reject's Road" scene was worth the purchase alone. Good stuff.
Wow that's interesting that you rate the Dolby Track higher then the DTS track since the DTS track plays at 1.5Mbps while the Dolby track plays at only 640kbps. I just assumed that the DTS track was always superior so I never bothered with the Dolby track, now I'm going to have to watch the movie again on Dolby to give my own rating.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1ipmode View Post
I have to say first off that I really love this movie.

I haven't seen the dvd version but I do own the blu-ray version. To me it was worth the purchase. There is intended grain in the film here and there but the picture quality is generally VERY sharp. It comes with DTS HD High Resolution ES audio track which is very good. The ambient sounds are never over bearing and the music sounds great also the voice track is done well as I never had to fiddle with the level of my center speaker. I think all the extras are the same as the dvd but I'd have to say the if you like this movie as much as I do, then this is the definitive version to have.
I love The Devil's Rejects too, but I just wanted to point out the error regarding the special features. Many of the features from the 2-disc standard dvd were trimmed, and unfortunately that stopped me from upgrading.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I love The Devil's Rejects too, but I just wanted to point out the error regarding the special features. Many of the features from the 2-disc standard dvd were trimmed, and unfortunately that stopped me from upgrading.
Man those must've been some great extra features, do they really have that much replay value?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:28 AM

Devil Rejects scares me =/
Old 02-21-2007, 02:39 AM

i'm so glad we are getting non-scary BD releases-

horror movies (all of the saw movies, descent, devil's, etc, etc) scare me!! i live out in the country, it's dark out here!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1ipmode View Post
Man those must've been some great extra features, do they really have that much replay value?
I might be in the minority, but I don't judge them on the replay value. I like to have the definitive version of a film, and in my opinion it can't be considered definitive if it drops most of the features from a previous edition. In the case of The Devil's Rejects, the omission of the 30 Days in Hell featurette is a big one.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I might be in the minority, but I don't judge them on the replay value. I like to have the definitive version of a film, and in my opinion it can't be considered definitive if it drops most of the features from a previous edition. In the case of The Devil's Rejects, the omission of the 30 Days in Hell featurette is a big one.
I see. I usually watch the features once if at all so I guess I'm not really missing anything. The movie is what matters the most since that is what people usually purchase a bd for. I'm glad I didn't own the dvd version cause I'd hate to be held back from purchasing a excellent blu-ray disk all because of a special feature.