'Resident Evil' -- High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2008, 12:34 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Resident Evil' -- High-Def Digest review

Just posted Josh's review of the original 'Resident Evil.' He's a fan of the film, and says this Blu-ray rocks the house with excellent picture and sound, plus a ton of bonus features.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1213/residentevil.html
Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Might have to upgrade my SD copy of this.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 PM

I'm very surprised to read High Def Digest's reviews where they say they prefer the transfer of the first film. This is despite it being much less detailed and I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind the scores. Is it an aesthetic thing that tips you over the edge?
Old 01-08-2008, 01:52 PM

No, it's because of the fact that the transfer is better... lol did you actually read the review or just look at the pretty stars?

Just read the section about the video... and then read the section about the video for Resident Evil: Extinction... it's explained very clearly why and how they come to their ratings.

"'Resident Evil' looks excellent. Ironically, it even looks better than either of its later sequels." That sums it up as much as I would think necessary.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:58 PM

It fucking does not look better than the sequels. That's an outright spoof!!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 PM

resident 2 and 3 are garbage, one was descent as its a prequel to the game.

This isnt even worth a rental
Old 01-08-2008, 03:42 PM

I just sold my German Import on HD and got it on BD.
Anything can look better than that.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:51 PM

Blublood!!! Blublood!!!

I was about to ask how this stands up to the German HD-DVD... I thought the German HD-DVD was pretty impressive considering the B-Movie source material
Old 01-08-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yateball View Post
No, it's because of the fact that the transfer is better... lol did you actually read the review or just look at the pretty stars?

I don't like your condescending tone, but will answer the question anyway. Yes I read the review, and disagreed with it, since the second and especially the third films have much better definition.

I was questioning why this:

lyris-lite.net/2008/01/re3/first_film1.jpg
(From the Resident Evil USA BD)

Was deemed to be better looking than this:

lyris-lite.net/2008/01/re3/5.jpg
(From the Resident Evil Extinction USA BD).

Edit: as for the films themselves, yes I think they're garbage, but they're entertaining garbage
Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyris View Post
I don't like your condescending tone, but will answer the question anyway. Yes I read the review, and disagreed with it, since the second and especially the third films have much better definition.

I was questioning why this:

lyris-lite.net/2008/01/re3/first_film1.jpg
(From the Resident Evil USA BD)

Was deemed to be better looking than this:

lyris-lite.net/2008/01/re3/5.jpg
(From the Resident Evil Extinction USA BD).
I don't put much stock in screencaps, for plenty of reasons. I'm sure if I was bored enough, I could post individual frames that show the exact opposite of what you did. That first frame you posted is taken from a tracking shot in a dimly lit room where the camera moves from very tight on Milla's face to the distance you show. For that, you need a lens with a wide lattitude in focus. That particular shot wasn't designed to be razor sharp. Why don't you post the famous close-up of her eye that immediately precedes it?

The screencap from Extinction has a locked down camera under much brighter conditions. Naturally it's going to look sharper. This is a classic apples-to-oranges comparison.

You can bicker over individual shots, but in general the first movie is more detailed than the 3rd one, which looks good but is a little lacking in detail and depth due to the bleached out contrasts and digital filtering. On a smaller screen, the 3rd one may look sharper because it has some edge enhancement applied, but the larger your screen the more impressive the first movie looks.

The second movie is heavily DNR'ed, has oversaturated colors, and also has some compression problems due to being an early MPEG2 BD25 release. If you honestly think that one looks better than the new release of the first, then I really don't know what to say that will convince you otherwise.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Last edited by Josh Z; 01-08-2008 at 07:34 PM.