Going Purple - PS3? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 AM

Default Going Purple - PS3?

OMG I think I just saw RENT Availible on Blu!!!

Okay so living in the UK, I want my releases when they hit the US if possible. I donít want to be waiting for what usually turns out to be a below par disc compared to the US. So with HD-DVD Iíve been enjoying excellent transfers and Multiregion goodness, discs from around the world, Japan, Germany, France, UK and the USÖ

So Iíve been looking at importing a US 40gb PS3 with Spidey Trilogy which will cost around £250 including postage, hoping that it gets passed customs without a hitch so I donít have to pay any extra.

Iíve been round the shops looking at bluray discs and then realise I wouldnít be able to play most of them on my Import machine anyways, so that was a dead duck. Off the point there Iíve read reviews for discs Iíd be interested in like Dracula and to be honest, theyíre not very flattering on quality and the likes which scares me somewhat since HD-DVD for me was a good investment but the warner announcement is forcing me to go purple, just in case

Now the next scathing point, Games!!! It seems sony has forgotten what the Playstation brand built itself on, gamingÖ the lack of exclusive titles means thereís not much of an incentive to look at it as a console. The only game that looks remotely interesting is Uncharted. Whatís going on? The 360 has the achievement system and Iím lovin that cause it adds something to the game for me, knowing you found all the hidden bits and bobs, killing a super duper boss or something similar

What are the incentives of going purple on the PS3? I am going to get one at the end of the month butÖ grrrrr itís annoying that thereís not really that many exclusives gaming side.

PS. Hope that makes sense, writing it while hiding the screen from the boss... Alt+Tab is your friend
Old 01-07-2008, 09:09 AM

Ummm this should be in hardware ops:
Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satans Puppet View Post
Now the next scathing point, Games!!! It seems sony has forgotten what the Playstation brand built itself on, gamingÖ the lack of exclusive titles means thereís not much of an incentive to look at it as a console. The only game that looks remotely interesting is Uncharted. Whatís going on?
ht tp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games

Guess the biggest exclusive PS3 games out now are:
Motorstorm (pretty awesome, but too bad they skipped the split screen. Great online tho. Might find it cheap since it's rather old.)
Resistance: FoM
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Heavenly Sword (It is kinda short, but it's simply stunning. Great production)
Ratchet & Clank Future: ToD
Warhawk (I was surprised by how fun this game is. It's a pretty simple online shooter, but it's the PS3 game I've had the most fun with)
Eye of Judgement (seems boring to me, but others seem to like it)
Resistance
Unreal Tournament 3 (timed console exclusive, but unlike the coming x360 version it supports Mouse & Keyboard and you are able to download mods)

Quote:
The 360 has the achievement system and Iím lovin that cause it adds something to the game for me, knowing you found all the hidden bits and bobs, killing a super duper boss or something similar
With the release of Home, Sony will introduce something similar to achievements. By completing specific tasks in games you'll be able to unlock 3D trophies that you can place in your Trophy Room and show off to friends. It's been confirmed that Uncharted will get an update to support these trophies.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Ooo Trophies I like... Wouldn't mind taking Motorstorm online... Is it Arcadey more then actual if you break to harshly, real world is gonna kick in and force you into a spin ala forza?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:23 PM

just so the OP nows as well the 40g PS3 comes with a rather barebones version of Spidey 3 not the entire trilogy.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Really?

That's disappointing. Are then any other Packages with the 40gb?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:30 PM

I bought a Ps3 over a week ago, to be hnest i purchased mine for the blu-ray player more than the gaming. The fact that the 360 has mor egames and better games at the moment is a downside. I have to admit the ps3 is dead silent and build quality is excellent as with other sony products.

I keep purchasing new blu rays every da, but i have to admit the hd dvd picture does look better on some movies.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:36 PM

I'll go for it.. Uncharted has had brilliant reviews and to be honest when I can buy Red instead of Blu I will...

There's not a lot on Red I can tease my niece with though... Nemo and Enchanted would be a couple of good reasons
Old 01-07-2008, 07:47 PM

PS3 has a few good games right now that are not on 360 (Uncharted, Resistance, Folklore, Warhawk), but 08 should be great for the PS3. Little Big Planet, MGS4, Killzone 2, etc. all look great.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Iíve been round the shops looking at bluray discs and then realise I wouldnít be able to play most of them on my Import machine anyways, so that was a dead duck.
This list details which discs are region locked (uk/european discs near the bottom), most of them will work on an imported PS3.