Email i sent to MGM / Fox about Usual Suspects Blu Ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 AM

Default Email i sent to MGM / Fox about Usual Suspects Blu Ray

I was less than impressed with the purchase but as it's one of my favorite movies I picked it up to watch in high definition. Letter has my impressions of the movie... lets just say they weren't great.

I took the HD DVD now petition email and got the addresses for MGM and Fox. Here's to hoping more people complain about this one.

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected],

Quote:
Dear MGM / Fox,

I recently purchased the Blu Ray edition of the Usual Suspects and must say that I am very unimpressed with it. I was disappointed with the disc even before I had opened it; the cover art for the blu ray case was simply cheap looking. I was worried that I had unknowingly received a bootleg version because of how low quality the cover art was. For something that probably costs in the mere pennies for you guys to produce it is really a shame that you would not try for a high quality print to give your customers a nicer looking case.

Even though the cover art looked horrible I was looking forward to seeing one of my favorite movies in High Definition but the picture quality was spotty at best. Some scenes did look great but other scenes (the scene in the red pool room where the group first meets Kobeyashi) had visible compression artifacts on the wall that were constantly moving the entire scene. This was distracting and not at all what I expected from a "high definition" version of this movie. I can't help but wonder if you had used a better quality codec coupled with a higher bitrate (the movie was encoded at MPEG-2 at 20 mbps...) you would have achieved better results for this.

I was also very turned off by the complete lack of extras even though a multitude of them have been released for the dvd editions of the movie. If space was an issue there were two options for you guys. Option one was to make the movie be a double layer disc giving you plenty more space for the aforementioned higher bitrate movie. Option two would have been to not include almost 30 minutes of 1080p trailers for other movies on the disc.

All in all I was extremely disappointed with this purchase. When someone pays nearly 30 dollars (39.99 MSRP) for what should be the best edition of a movie they should get a much better experience. I sincerely hope that you will look into a disc replacement or exchange program as this release just does not cut it. You had the opportunity to make a modern classic even better and you chose to do a sloppy release.

Sincerely,

My Name
Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 AM

Did you ever get a response?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:39 PM

This is Fox in a nutshell, that's why only one of my 50+ BD's is a Fox/MGM one (The Usual Suspects is the only one I bought). Of all the studios they charge the most and give the least, just take a look at 'Man on Fire'!

All of their top catalog releases are usually barebone, just so they can make us double dip when the next special edition of that movie is released. That's a no go in my book, so I'm waiting on price drops and more extras before i expand my movie library with Fox BD's.

It really is to bad that Fox is doing all of MGM's BD distributing. If Sony was distributing the MGM stuff we would have a $10 lower MRSP, better extras and probably better transfers!

Get your act together Fox, you are harming the format with subpar releases like this!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:57 PM

Here are some pointers when writing a letter or e-mail like this to improve your chances of someone taking it seriously.

- Get the entire point accross in the very first sentence. If you want something, say it right away.

- Keep it short. They won't bother reading something drawn out. Less is more when writing. The points your trying to make can easily get lost in drawn out explanations.

- Use a seperate paragraph for each point brought up.

- Don't use terms like "simply cheap looking", "Sloppy" etc... It will just get thrown out.

- Don't presume that you know more about codecs, compression and bitrates then a studio does. MPEG-2 can look fantastic, if the transfer is given appropriate care.

Here's how I would have written it

Quote:
Dear MGM / Fox,

Please issue a disc replacement for "The Usual Suspects" on Blu-Ray Disc.

The following left much to be desired.

Cover Art
The cover art for the blu ray case was too simplistic. I feel as though more effort could have been made in providing a more attractive package.

Picture Quality
Where the group first meets Kobeyashi; visible compression artifacts on the wall were constantly moving the entire scene. This is not what we should expect from "High Definition Media".

Lac of extras
You've failed to deliver any extras on this Blu-Ray edition when previous DVD releases did. Blu-Ray disc has been marketing the fact that it's greater storage space would provide more extras.

Conclusion
I'm disappointed with this purchase. The picture quality featured compression artifacts and no effort was made for the cover art nor where there any extras on the disc. You did not even carry over the extra's from previous DVD editions. The disc does not justify it's $39.99 price tag.

You've failed to deliver Blu-Ray's promise of "high definition media".

Good for you for sticking it to them though. Fox needs to wake up, especially with the lack of extras. You just know they will come back in a year or so and try to sell a version with the extras to try to get everyone to double dip.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:55 PM

well... considering i just watched Edward Scissorhands last night and there were a few occasions where the bouncing nature of the picture was annoying to the point of me gritting my teeth... I think I'll send a letter as well.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbazappaplant View Post
well... considering i just watched Edward Scissorhands last night and there were a few occasions where the bouncing nature of the picture was annoying to the point of me gritting my teeth... I think I'll send a letter as well.
Yea I watched that movie the other day and was like "dude...what the hell".
Old 01-13-2008, 02:08 PM

I'm starting to hate Fox more and more with each passing day. They release sh**y versions of great movies and kill hd dvd by running to Sony and tattling on WB.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM

no response yet. i think i'll resend it with Snadinator's email.

Set off Snadinator's email with the following conclusion line

Quote:
Please note that I will not be buying any more Fox / MGM Blu Ray discs until I see a noticeable improvement in your catalog release quality.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:35 PM

These bd-25 Mpeg 2 releases are complete bs. Don't buy them.