Question about your Blu-Ray review ratings Mr. Peter M. Bracke - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2008, 01:40 AM

Question Question about your Blu-Ray review ratings Mr. Peter M. Bracke

Hey Peter, I'm a bit confused about your Blade Runner review. First of all, I had never seen this movie, and as it turns out, it was probably not for me, but that's not what I have a problem with.

I absolutely loved Apocalypto! I hadn't seen that movie until I bought it on Blu-Ray. Once I saw how gorgeous it was (and the movie its self) it quickly became my favorite movie. Once I saw the review here, I was shocked to see it only got a 4/5. In retrospect, after watching the movie several more times with friends and family, I started to notice some of the more grainy scenes, so I now agree with the rating.

Now, like a said before, I hadn't seen Blade Runner before, but after reading the HDD review of the movie, and seeing that it got 5/5 in all categories, I figured what the heck.

While watching the movie, I noticed that of all the Blu-Ray movies I own, this was probably the most grainy of pictures. There were lots of clips that looked good (mostly the closeups) but overall, I didn't think it deserved a 5/5. I know that this movie was made in 1982, and they didn't have the same movie making technology they have now, but still...

The rating system leaves me a bit confused because I don't know what a 5/5 means. Is it "I can't believe how greatly they managed to improve the image quality of this movie despite the fact that it's from '82!" Or is it more along the lines of "I have not a single nitpick -- every last pixel appears to be perfectly in place, and every aspect of the presentation is exemplary." (As quoted from your review of Cars).

It feels almost as though you were so in love with this movie that you couldn't stand to give it less than a perfect review. I GREATLY appreciate all of the work/reviews that you have done, and I look forward to reading your future reviews.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:21 AM

Peter has already addressed questions like this in the following article, which is linked at the bottom of each and every single review:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/reviewmethodology.html

Blade Runner looks great. The movie has some grain, which is perfectly natural for any movie shot on film, but if you're seeing excessive graininess or noise that is possibly a calibration or hardware problem with your equipment.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 PM

I'm so sick of people posting complaints like this...

It's not that hard to understand where Peter is coming from. For a film like Blade Runner (quite old) to be restored to the magnitude that it was for this high def collectors edition... you better believe it deserves 5 stars.

When you are comparing 2 VERY different movies... 'Live Free or Die Hard' and 'Blade Runner', for example.... How would it be fair to use the EXACT same rating scale for both, when the source material for one is so old.

Peter does a fantastic job and (with the possible exception of some of the 'The Movie Itself' ratings) is bang-on almost 100% of the time.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:32 PM

Watch the 1997 DVD edition and you will believe that it deserves 5 stars. I blind bought that one and whoa.. Big mistake (luckily I think I paid $3.50). It doesnt even fit the full frame haha, and it looks no better than a VHS, maybe worse.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Watch the 1997 DVD edition and you will believe that it deserves 5 stars. I blind bought that one and whoa.. Big mistake (luckily I think I paid $3.50). It doesnt even fit the full frame haha, and it looks no better than a VHS, maybe worse.
If you'd ever watched Blade Runner on VHS, you'd know that's not true.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yateball View Post
I'm so sick of people posting complaints like this...

He wasn't complaining. He was confused about how PQ ratings are done and posed a question.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 PM

Shouldn't this be in the feedback section?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 AM

My bad. I didn't even notice that section before. And as Nightfury said, I wasn't complaining about the reviews. I was just looking for clarity.