Blu-ray case size differences - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: First two: If you chose the global standard / Last 3: Feelings about mixing the types
I like the broad DVD-width Blu-raycases best (used in UK/AU) - readability ftw! 4 4.17%
I like the thinner Blu-ray cases best - I can read it just fine; looks cooler / take up less space 80 83.33%
I don't like mixing the case types and have/will avoid it whenever possible even if I could save $ 14 14.58%
I have/would import movies of different case type than my collection but only if it could save me $ 9 9.38%
Mixing cases doesn't bother me the least. I have/will import without giving it a thought 24 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Default Blu-ray case size differences

POLL EXPLANATION:
---------------------
Question 1: Option 1 and 2 answers the question of which case type you simply prefer if YOU could choose a world standard.

Question 2:Option 3, 4 and 5 deals with how big of a deal you think varying case thickness within your collection is. For example if you'd import movies of a different case size than the majority of your collection, you'd vote "I don't like mixing the case types and..."
You might ask "it depends on how much money I'd save importing" so lets just say you'd save an average of 15% by importing.

Remember to vote on both questions!
---------------------

I've come to learn that US and EU (minus UK) Blu-ray cases are of the thin type while the UK and Australia uses thicker DVD-size cases. Personally I think it's stupid to not use one standard all around the world since a BD collection of varying case sizes make the collection appear more chaotic as a while and kind of makes it a little more difficult to make a quick glimpse of the titles on the side of the cases. Picture examples of collections (click on thumbnails for full picture):

- To my eyes this collection seem to consist of UK DVD-broad type but it looks very nice anyway since they're consistent.

- I think it's a bit hard to assess this collection, for example MI3 looks thinner than Ice Age right beside it, but if I had to guess I'd think they're all the UK thick type as well.

I asked somebody on another forum to take a picture of his cases since he told me that he has them mixed which looks like this:
- "Letters from Iwo Jima" is UK ie. the broad one and "Closer" is bought in Denmark thus same thickness as the US.

So which size would you prefer being standard? The compact more new and fresh looking compact thin type from US and most of EU or easier readable but olderfashion DVD-broad type from UK and AU?

And how much would it bother you to mix up these two types of cases (or how much does it bother you if you have in fact imported unknowingly of the two case sizes?). So vote in the poll and elaborate in a post

BTW I made this topic because I ordered some Blurays from the UK but only discovered this difference in the case after I had ordered. I'm now thinking of returning the movies then buy a few in Denmark (that's where I live) though they are more expensive and save the money for second hand purchases of DK bluray releases or just wait for the prices to drop here as well.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 PM

isn't first picture fake? with titles not released on blu
Old 01-07-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metatron View Post
isn't first picture fake? with titles not released on blu
That first pic looks as if someone ordered blank Blu-ray cases and just printed out inserts into them...
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 PM

All I can say is....SO WHAT! Your worried that the cases don't look right on the shelf?? I think you might have OCD....check yourself in and get some help
Old 01-12-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
All I can say is....SO WHAT! Your worried that the cases don't look right on the shelf?? I think you might have OCD....check yourself in and get some help
Yeah I'm a bit anal about this, I know..

On the bright side it can turn out to make a difference in the long run if I build up a really large collection

Ended up choosing to go with our domestic slim releases here in Denmark, I'm just holding off with the buying frenzy for lower prices
Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 PM

Fuck, nothing better to do? Finished Uncharted have we, eh?!!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:06 PM

www.sleevetown.com

I like their cases & when they aren't back-ordered anymore I'm gonna grab some more. Their cases are the slim ones with the embedded logo and the locking tab. I also prefer the lighter blue color of the case.

Don't worry about Chickengas..he's a loser and can't understand someone taking pride in something.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 PM

The slimline cases are obviously advantageous when it comes to space issues, and yet the chunkier cases look better (apart from the TWO age classification certificates we have to put up with on the spines in the UK). And the embossed Blu-ray logos on the front of the chunky cases look better too. Oh, what a conundrum. At the end of the day, night, week, month, or year, you've got to go with space-saving packaging. Retailers must prefer it as well.

It's much more irritating with Nintendo DS cases in Europe: they stick them in these cases with spines twice as chunky as US/Jap boxes and then they use small, generic fonts for the titles instead of the original colourful logos. Madness.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:26 PM

Yeah I noticed the thicker cases have a better blu-ray logo on them as well.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Fuck, nothing better to do? Finished Uncharted have we, eh?!!
What? How did you know about Uncharted?? It's the only game I bought for the PS3 so far but I haven't had time to play it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
www.sleevetown.com

I like their cases & when they aren't back-ordered anymore I'm gonna grab some more. Their cases are the slim ones with the embedded logo and the locking tab. I also prefer the lighter blue color of the case.

Don't worry about Chickengas..he's a loser and can't understand someone taking pride in something.
Thanks but I'm not sure that the paper cover of a UK-DVD-fatnage case would fit well into the a slim one - I mean the title would probably be stretched around the back and front of the case, so I'm just going to buy that in my country. I'm soon gonna have to search for a new student job though and I'm thinking of some kind of electronics or software store where I can perhaps get a bit extra off on personal purchases - would be sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The slimline cases are obviously advantageous when it comes to space issues, and yet the chunkier cases look better (apart from the TWO age classification certificates we have to put up with on the spines in the UK). And the embossed Blu-ray logos on the front of the chunky cases look better too. Oh, what a conundrum. At the end of the day, night, week, month, or year, you've got to go with space-saving packaging. Retailers must prefer it as well.

It's much more irritating with Nintendo DS cases in Europe: they stick them in these cases with spines twice as chunky as US/Jap boxes and then they use small, generic fonts for the titles instead of the original colourful logos. Madness.
Madness??! THIS IS EUROPE!!!!