Show WB some thanks: Buy 2 WB BD's this weekend! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Show WB some thanks: Buy 2 WB BD's this weekend!

Alright, it seems the boards are still pretty rife with complaints from fans of HD-DVD regarding the WB announcement. I see there's petitions, and all sorts of accusations.

So, I'm calling on all the BLU's out there: let's show Warner that they made the right decision, by telling them about it where it counts: in the pocket!!!

I was initially going to post this earlier, but wound up dropping some cash on a new printer today and was thinking about letting my wallet rest. Unfortunately, all the huffing and puffing about HD-DVD is now beyond-annoying. We can have a 'clear path' now, thanks to Warner; and maybe start getting some more obscure titles in HD.

Now is not the time to cry. Now is the time to Support!! HD-DVD fans have what they've always had: the fantastical pen of myths, hopes, dreams, and whatever else comes to mind. I admire some of that optimism, but there comes a point when it just gets in the way of progress. BD fans have consistently done what led to this point: bought Blu-ray movies!!!

So ... I'm going to be heading to the store in a little while. When I return, I'll post what 2 Warner titles I bought on Blu-ray, how much I paid, and where I got them. I'm urging all fellow Blu-fans to do so today or tomorrow!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:18 PM

Pshh, done my part. Bought seven movies all Warner, last night!

Bought

Harry Potter 1-5
The Departed
Letters From Iwo Jima
Old 01-05-2008, 04:18 PM

It's funny, I just bought Blade Runner on BD a few days ago, after a long argument with myself over which version I should buy.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:23 PM

I thinking of doing this right now - but unfortunately one of the ones I desired is not in the store.

Blade Runner Blu-ray is excelient. Highly recommend it.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Wow, I think a thank you would just to be to buy their new releases... they know they are taking advantage of you in the first place with the high prices on HDM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanJohnson View Post
Wow, I think a thank you would just to be to buy their new releases... they know they are taking advantage of you in the first place with the high prices on HDM.
And so is everyone else releasing media on HDM.... so what's your point?

Sorry to all: it's a snowy, cold place up here in Ohio now. So, I left a little later than expected, and started watching right when I got back. Perfect time to stay-in and watch Kubrick's most-amazing head-trip of a movie: 2001. --Wow. That movie is even more bizarro than I remembered. But, they certainly did do a pretty spectacular job on restoration. The space scenes seem to have some film-wear on the corners (would have been nice if they corrected some of that), but it's pretty hard to fault Warner's handling of the movie. For the most part, it looks like a contemporary release, and I well forgot how advanced the special effects were in many parts of the film.

So, my 2 Warner Blu-ray pick-ups last night were:
2001 (24.99)
The Shinning (24.99)
from Best Buy.

I've been thinking about getting these for a while now, and the Warner announcement is the perfect time to dive in. (In answer to Spartan J's dig; I've seen The Shinning on Amazon 2-fer's before, but never 2001 along with it.)

I already picked-up Blade Runner a couple of weeks back when it came out. Highly recommended for anyone remotely a fan of the movie. I'd say the restoration of that is superior to 2001's (as good as 2001 is).
Old 01-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krycek7o2 View Post
Pshh, done my part. Bought seven movies all Warner, last night!

Bought

Harry Potter 1-5
The Departed
Letters From Iwo Jima
Awesome! --I'm disappointed more haven't posted here, but your purchase (alone) is pretty cool. I'm not a big Harry Potter fan, but you'll have to let me know how Departed and Letters are. I almost went with The Departed instead of 2001, but it would have been a 'blind buy'. I've also toyed with picking up Letters on various occasions since it first released.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:32 AM

I bought Warners all through out Christmas hoping to boost the numbers. As soon as I get paid, I'll probably add some more.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 AM

I've already bought the ones I want; and there aren't very many because Warner hasn't paid much attention to lossless/uncompressed audio tracks.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Bought the Harry Potters 1-4 a few days ago, already had the 5th one on release day.