Holding out on Harry Potter - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Holding out on Harry Potter

So here's the deal.
I am a Fence jumper. I'll probably pick up a PS3 today.
And I would LOVE to pick up the 4 Potter movies in the BOGO sale.
However, because I already have them on HD-DVD, I'm going to wait until the NEXT film comes out in a couple years.
Reason: I'm going to assume that when that movie comes out, Warner will put together another "Gift Set" with all the movies. But I think by then they will have Re-produced all of those movies by then. To include 1.1 and 2.0 features.
Until then I can still enjoy them on HD-DVD.

TO all the current Blu-Ray fans, I say "Congrats". Well played.
I'm hoping that most of you will welcome the HD-DVD newcomers with welcome arms, Rather than being Sore winners, and feeling like you need to Diss them every chance you get.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 AM

I think you're smart to not pick them all up. As much as I'd like to have them all in HD, I only bought 4 and 5 (the others I have on SD DVD). I figure that I'll see what they're offering in a collector's edition when Deathly Hallows comes out on BD.

Besides, you might as well get some use out of the HD DVD versions you have. Even though I'm a BD supporter, it just seems silly for people to start flooding ebay with perfectly good disks.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:57 AM

I agree. There's no need to replace your HD-DVDs with Blu-Rays, since they are more or less the same. Get what you don't have on Blu-Ray, and you'll still have all the Potter movies in HD. Doesn't really matter if the cases have a different color.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Well, if you're getting the PS3, why not replace them? I don't think you're going to have your HD DVD player hooked up for years to come. Right now, you can get all of them for $40. When another gift set arrives, it will be $100+.

Even though, I see as well the probability of them making an updated version as you say.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:32 PM

I think anybody who has a collection of HD-DVD's might as well just keep them. And enjoy them. When Toshiba starts having "Closeout" sales, they can pick up an extra player (to avoid the chance their discs will be useless if their other player ever craps out). With a Dead system, it's smart to have an extra on hand.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:37 PM

I have them all on hd dvd and bought the ps3 last week for the fox and disney titles mainly. Im happy with my hd dvd's and willadd to them as well as blu ray. Being from the uk i have found blu-ray to be cheaper costing but the downside is the importing region issues. Not all blu ray dics are region free, something i always need to look out for.