best buy blu ray sampler - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 AM

Default best buy blu ray sampler

has anyone seen the new in store sampler.with the national treasure ,the rock,potc 3and lost.this sampler looks amazing.how come my blu rays don't look this good when i get home.is it because i only have a 720p tv
Old 01-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Usually on those demo discs they'll put only a few trailers and then max out the bitrate on them to make them look spectacular to customers. Both sides do this from what I've seen.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:00 PM

they look realy amazing there because it is the demo disk, but I was there last night and they were running it on a Sony XBR 1080p. The tv alone was selling for almost $3,000. A friend of mine has that set and the his picture looks superior to my Samsung 1080i. I guess you get what you pay.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:24 PM

If it is the XBR, it's probably running at 120 hz as well. It makes the image incredibly 3d and stunning looking, but if you watch for a while, something seems just a bit "off" imo.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:29 AM

I work at best buy and im pretty sure the demo is given to us by pioneer. And yes 120 hertz deffinatly has an erie look to it. I was watching a 120hertz 46" xbr5 undererneath a front proector projecting on to a screen. The projector is not 120. You can really get a feel for the diff between the too.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:44 AM

Yes, I have seen that sampler as well and it does look great. Another thing I would like to know is if anyone noticed that many of these trailers for these movies are full frame even though the films were shot in the 2:35:1 format. The 2:35:1 format, as we know, will not play in fulll frame on a 16x9 set. There will still be some letterboxing at the top and bottom. I was watching and noticed that the scenes from The Rock and National Treasure, for example are in full frame on the sampler. There were also some scenes from movies that I already own, like Pirates of the Caribbean, that were full frame even though we know that the released version has the small bars at the top and bottom. I may be wrong but I seem to remember that scenes from Pearl Harbor and Day After Tomorrow were also full frame. I also noticed that the piece from Ratatouille was still slightly letterboxed, as it is when I play it at home. Am I missing something here or I guess they manipulated those scenes to be full frame just for the sampler. They sure looked great.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:39 PM

I suppose there is no way to get ahold of said sampler is there?