'Vertical Limit' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-15-2007, 12:33 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Vertical Limit' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'Vertical Limit' is up. A thrill-packed actioner, this one certainly seems to boast some high-def eye candy, but Peter was somewhat disappointed with both the story itself (he calls it "forgettable") and the audio, which wasn't as immersive as he'd expected. Still, rates a solid rental.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/verticallimit.html
Old 03-15-2007, 05:09 PM

haha wow there wasnt a single post here. i thought it was an alright movie, the PQ was great though. once they're in the mountains and things of the sort, its not bad, but from the beginning to when chris odonell goes out is awfully boring and jut flat out awful. 1st half awful, 2nd half good. 1st half so bad tho that iot makes the movie ok. i wouldnt say buy it.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 AM

peter's review on the supplements part seemed incorrect - the featurette National Geographic channel's "Quest for K2" (from region 1 special edition) was not ported over to the blu-ray release.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:48 PM

The UK disc is AVC, U.S. is MPEG-2 for some reason.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:27 PM

One "similar" film I'd like to see is Cliffhanger and its future sequel... ok maybe not the sequel.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:23 PM

Finally got a chance to view my copy of this last night and I was more impressed than I thought i'd be? It's not stated in this review but I watched it with the TrueHD track that's not listed in the specs on this review. This is the only Sony TRUHD title i've had to listen to but I was very impressed!! In fact in flipping between this and the PCM, i'd say it's a match.

The picture quality was better than I expected too!! I was a little leery of it being in mpeg-2 but it looks great, have no idea of the bitrate.

Overall I was very impressed! I don't see that too many chimed in on this release? Didn't more people have thoughts on this?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:27 AM

Just watched this tonight and the PCM sound was excellent. The helicopter sounds were whooshing from left surround to right surround. I was initially confused about which audio track was the best, but the uncompressed PCM had a much higher bitrate on my PS3 display.

It's funny about counting the freckles in on Robin Tunney's; I was watching people's skin in the movie and noting how weathered and bad everyone looked.

I actually liked this better than Cliffhanger in retrospect. This one had better mountain stunts, and Sly's hard to sympathize with because he's so robotic.