'Reign of Fire' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-15-2007, 01:52 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Reign of Fire' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'Reign of Fire' is up. He found the film itself a bit too dour and serious given the subject matter, but as a Blu-ray release, it's yet another winner from Disney. Both the video (4.5 stars) and audio (4 stars) are quite good, and Disney gets points for retaining all of the standard-def edition's extras, even if none are particularly noteworthy.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/reignoffire.html
Old 02-15-2007, 02:40 AM

Even if the movie is kind of silly...its definitely worth watching. My favorite is that part towards the end....where Matthew McCo....whatever....where he goes running towards that dragon with just a knife? Too cool. I would put that on a list of my top 10 fav. scenes ever. If you havent seen this movie yet, definitely check it out. What have you got to lose? If you dont like it...at least you got to see some damn dragons in HD!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:09 AM

4.5 stars on video and 4 stars on audio and it is "For fans only"? I thought scores like that would rate it as "Give it a rent" at least. I have not seen the film but when I see scores that high, I have trouble swallowing the "For fans only" line.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
4.5 stars on video and 4 stars on audio and it is "For fans only"? I thought scores like that would rate it as "Give it a rent" at least. I have not seen the film but when I see scores that high, I have trouble swallowing the "For fans only" line.
I liked the movie. I definitely has it's charm. Denton Van Zan (Matthew McConaughey) was awesome.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I liked the movie. I definitely has it's charm. Denton Van Zan (Matthew McConaughey) was awesome.
Denton Van Zan huh? Possible nicknames include:

DVZ
DZ
DV
VZ
The Zananator
Old 02-15-2007, 03:43 PM
HDD Founder

Thanks for your feedback. Spoke with Peter, and in retrospect he agreed that "For Fans Only" was overly negative considering his overall review of (and ratings for) the disc. He's amended the "bottom line" on this one to "Worth a Look."
Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 AM

i think ill be getting this, just cause Dragons...in 1080p....hahaha
Old 02-16-2007, 04:57 PM

I bought this on Tuesday when I came up empty handed for "The Departed" (frustrating!). It was a guilty pleasure of mine on DVD, so I thought, why not replace it? Unfortunately I don't have a receiver capable of taking advantage of the reportedly strong sound. I think the picture quality is solid, but it varies. Early on it appears a little soft, particularly during the "young Quinn" sequence that opens the movie. Some of the long shots aren't as detailed as I'd hoped. But there are plenty of scenes that look fabulous as well, and the picture is generally consistently strong in the second half of the movie. I don't think I'd be quite as kind as Peter, but I certainly wouldn't knock the PQ either.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
nor any edge enhancement
there most definitely IS quite a bit of EE in this transfer. the nature of the photography brings it out quite a bit (dark objects lit up against light backdrops). can't get my head around how anyone could not notice this, let alone a reviewer. that's pretty bad.

there isn't anything in my chain that would be introducing this ringing as i have many blu-ray and hd-dvd titles that don't have ee.

this is on a 120" FP screen.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:50 PM

is this movie out yet? cause ive yet to see it anywhere