War Mini-review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 AM

Default War Mini-review

I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I won't comment on the story itself, other than to say I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

PQ: (4.75/5) An excellent transfer from the crew at Lionsgate. Black detail and colors were great. Even the nighttime scenes were quite clean. Scene to scene color was quite good with only a few hardly noticeable shifts.

SQ: (5/5) 7.1 PCM... Wow. Let me rephrase that. Wow!
I didn't bother checking the 5.1 DD-EX mix, so YMMV on that one. The PCM mix was full and tight, engaging all 8 channels almost all of the time. Dialogue was clean and clear and I didn't find myself reaching for the remote once. Not just SFX were pushed to the rear, but the score was mixed superbly with the not just the surrounds active, but the rear channels as well.

Overall: With Die Hard 4 being one of my current favorites, I'd say this discs' video was better, but I feel that that is due to the fact that DH4 only used a 2k digital intermediate. The transfers themselves were both impeccable. As far as audio goes, I'd have to give DH4 a slight(and I mean slight) edge. Both are extraordinary, with War's 7.1 mix truly shining, but the sheer IMPACT of DH4 still has me marveling.

I'd give the disc overall, just shy of 5 stars and two big thumbs up.

Peter M
Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 AM

good review thanks for your imput. I might have to pick this up. I have never seen the movie but gotta love a great transfer.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:59 PM

i blind bought it yesterday and i wasnt dissapointed with any aspect. PQ, audio, and the actual movie were all stellar in my humble opinion.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:41 PM

I wanna know more about the actual movie, is it good? what is it comparable to? Besides Die Hard b/c I haven't seen any of those.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:44 PM

i don't see how anybody find the movie to be good... I go through a ton of movies working at a theater and this was one of the worst i saw in 07 along with shrek 3.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:26 PM

How is the PiP? I'm interested because if it is good then we can hope for good things in 3:10 to Yuma.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 AM

I am an action fan, and also enjoy both Li's and Statham's solo movies. I really enjoyed the movie as a whole. Again, I was just trying to provide more of a tech review until the 'official' one comes out... YMMV

I didn't play with any of the PIP stuff, so I can't say anything about it...

Peter M
Old 01-03-2008, 12:22 AM

It was good. enjoyed it as I did the transporter films. the story actually made sense. I thought it would be a mindless and cheesy flick like One or Unleashed. PIP wasn't anything special. PIP on RE:extinction and Shoot'em Up put it to shame.