SONY new release minus PCM uncompressed! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-01-2008, 06:14 PM

Default SONY new release minus PCM uncompressed!

I've noticed that the newer releases for sony does not have PCM uncompressed as an audio selection. Titles like SPIDY 1 and 2, Legend of Zorro, Close encounters heck even Resident evil 1 and 3 doesnt havetit Does anyone know why this is? Does profile 1.1 have anything to do with it? but if this is the case only RE3 is 1.1! What gives?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

They have TrueHD instead. I take it you have a player that doesn't support TrueHD and you're only getting the lossy 640kbps core, amirite?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
They have TrueHD instead. I take it you have a player that doesn't support TrueHD and you're only getting the lossy 640kbps core, amirite?
Nope!I have a PS3. Am just surprised to find out that sony hasnt been including Uncompressed PCM, when its suppose to be one of the aspects that BD has over HD DVD because of its space limitation! And now its missing on some of their flagship titles!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post
Nope!I have a PS3. Am just surprised to find out that sony hasnt been including Uncompressed PCM, when its suppose to be one of the aspects that BD has over HD DVD because of its space limitation! And now its missing on some of their flagship titles!
Uncompressed PCM is lossless and thats why it is good. This means that it is a copy of the the studio master and nothing is thrown away. TrueHD is compressed but is also lossless. It's like compressing a file in a ZIP or RAR, everything is still there but it takes up less space. This is good because it takes up less space and more importantly bandwidth. More room for HD extras, and bandwidth so they can put lossless dubs without affecting PQ.

A PS3 and all players that decode TrueHD decode the the track into PCM. So in theory PCM and TrueHD will sound the same.

Hope this is a good explanation.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I've noticed that the newer releases for sony does not have PCM uncompressed as an audio selection. Titles like SPIDY 1 and 2, Legend of Zorro, Close encounters heck even Resident evil 1 and 3 doesnt havetit Does anyone know why this is? Does profile 1.1 have anything to do with it? but if this is the case only RE3 is 1.1! What gives?
I was thinking the same thing too but then when I listened to the TrueHD track on Spidey 3, to me it sounded better than the PCM track. I think they recorded TrueHD track at 24 bit while the PCM track is only at 16 bit. So as long as SONY gives us 24 bit TrueHD track, I'm a happy camper.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:52 PM

Having a PCM track and a TrueHD track is redundant. The majority of BD players can decode multichannel TrueHD and send it as PCM, so also including a PCM track seems like a waste.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM

Yeah, I'd rather get TrueHD tracks so they can put 24 bit soundtracks on them. Seems like Sony is going to put English, French, and Spanish TrueHD on their new releases. Heres the back for We Own the Night.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Banned

There is no difference in quality between PCM and Dolby TrueHD. Lossless is lossless.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 PM

I agree with all your posts! The same is true for ghost rider if I might add-pcm got shafted with only 16 bits vs 24bits for ddtrue hd! So much for getting the exact studio master because BD has 50g. For me I'd rather get the exact studio mix rather than getting a zip file(with dialhorn encode at times)!
Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rded View Post
I agree with all your posts! The same is true for ghost rider if I might add-pcm got shafted with only 16 bits vs 24bits for ddtrue hd! So much for getting the exact studio master because BD has 50g. For me I'd rather get the exact studio mix rather than getting a zip file(with dialhorn encode at times)!
Sony doesn't use dialnorm, but there is no reason not to want TrueHD.