Chicago - total disapointment - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-31-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Chicago - total disapointment

I purchased Chicago on blu-ray last night and my wife was earger to watch it.

I was happy to see it was in 1:85 ratio so it would fit the 16:9 television and read the review here first.

The picture quality in my opinion was barely a half step over my old DVD copy. It was dirty, soft, was full of compression artifacts and noise. Their was far too much grain too it as well.

I've seen a lot of HD movies on both HD DVD and blu-ray and I know what a good picture quality looks like, but I felt like I was watching a DVD...

The sound on the other hand was flawless.

Anybody else see the blu-ray edition of Chicago? What were your thoughts? Is this a known issue? I'd really like to see a reissue like the fifth element.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:03 PM

I'd love this to be released on HD-DVD but there's no chance but judging from your views... It Prolly goes all Pixellated during the finale the same way it did on the Region 2 DVD
Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 PM

The picture quality was inconsistent, but overall, quite good. It seems to have been filmed with a lot of grain in some parts (lighting and film incompatibility, perhaps). Some parts look fabulous, while others display a whole ton of grain. Color levels and detail far exceed the DVD version. There's not much that can be done if you just don't like the way it was filmed.

As for the sound, I think Chicago is the most marvelous sounding disc out there. I don't think many people are aware of Chicago, and like explosions and surround effects whizzing around far more than a deep, rich musical soundfield.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:29 PM

I really loved the Chicago movie (I was lucky enough to catch a preview where the cast & director were there to do a Q&A) and it was my favorite film of the year. I also bought the DVD when it first came out, and then the Razzle-Dazzle edition. I believe it was this later print that they used for the Blu-ray.

That 2nd DVD was an exceptional print (especially upscaled on the S300) and so is the Blu-ray. I did a side by side comparison of the Razzle-Dazzle DVD and the Blu-ray and, while there were minor differences in depth, the Blu-ray really is infinitely better. You see it in detail, in richer color, and hear it in the sound. Trust me, if you can do a side by side like I did, especially during the Cell Block Tango, you will be very happy with the Blu-ray. I don't know what TV you were watching it on, but I have a Sony 46XBR4 and with the setting to Vivid, it is really terrific.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 PM

*Shaves his legs, goes all Jazz Hands* He had it comin', He had it comin', He only had himself to blame... If you'd have been there, if you'd have see it, I know that you would 'ave done the same....

Awwww I can only pray germany or france do a top notch HD-DVD transfer
Old 12-31-2007, 07:06 PM

i thought all the musical parts were excellent looking but all the regular scenes looked less impressive.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:24 PM

its just disapointing to me. I had just watched the directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven on blu-ray and every scene blew me away. Likewise with the HD DVD version of Chronicles of Riddick.

The sound on Chicago was stellar, no question there though. However, my copy of the Phantom of the Opera on HD DVD had both the sound and the picture. Likewise with Ray.

Too bad. I had really high expectations, hoping for it to be a reference disc to show off.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:02 AM

General consensus is that the PQ of Chicago on BR is inconsistent and disappointing but that it's largely due to the original film which was dark and grainy as hell.

In the interest of entertainment I'm linking Robert Harris' take (yes, THE Robert Harris) on the BR release of Chicago which confounded a lot of people by proclaiming the release to be terrific:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...hicago-bd.html

If you value his opinion there it is. Many felt these comments and his defense of the revisionist BR release of Bram Stoker's Dracula signified he is off his rocker. For context, here's his take on BSD:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...racula-bd.html
Old 01-02-2008, 12:44 AM

and thus continues the problem with artistic intent vs. video game smoothness. The grain is fully intended, the changes in lighting etc... etc...

While you will get more wow factor pulling out Ratatouille, the complexity of the film that is Chicago really shows just how well a movie can transfer from the big screen to blu ray. i can't say enough about the quality of Chicago on BR. They took a very, very difficult film and made it stunning. Something DVD couldn't come close to reproducing.

*edit* I was in a college film course when this came out and we spent an entire lecture discussing the film (the professor was a huge fan of the musical) We discussed the different lighting techniques and the different look of the film in certain scenes to reproduce what would have been different stage set ups etc etc... ad nauseum. The consensus came that it was definitely merited, and watching this blu ray compared to what I remember in the theater, it is spot on. Watching "Chicago," it is a little bit schizo and at some points in time looks as though it had two different directors of photography. I consider this a genius approach to doing the movie and would rate this transfer a 5 on the video. Once again, for purely "wowing" your friends, you can find better "pop" movies... but for sheer reproduction of what I personally assume to be "artistic intent" it doesn't get any better.

Last edited by abbazappaplant; 01-02-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraMajor View Post
If you value his opinion there it is. Many felt these comments and his defense of the revisionist BR release of Bram Stoker's Dracula signified he is off his rocker. For context, here's his take on BSD:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...racula-bd.html
With that said, BSD is back on my list as I loved that movie. Off topic yes.