HD movies are pissing me off! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 PM

Default HD movies are pissing me off!

What the hell is it with all the crappy transfers? All the grain? If these companies want to SELL HD to the public, they need to step up and remaster these movies better. I'm so sick of dropping money on HD's (yes blu-ray and hd-dvd's) and finding out that the transfers are no better than the DVD. I think some of these companies need to step up and refund our cash or do a free trade-out once they properly remaster their films.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 PM

That's what the Highdef-Digest reviews are for. Read them properly and you can minimize your chances in getting a bad transfer.

BTW: Grain isn't alltimes bad. It can also get somehow "detail" into the picture (especially on skintones.)
Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 PM

Yeah, well I read the review of Stargate. It received a 4 star video rating. WAY WAY off. I'd give this about a 2.5. You watch the oversaturated grainy picture on Stargate and tell me that it enhances the movie. I READ the reviews...I don't know that I trust them as much anymore.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:25 PM

I believe you have to also take into account the review date. Some of the older movies may have looked great over a year ago, but compared to new releases they don't come anywhere close.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:30 PM

Yeah I spose...which also makes me wonder if we should be buying all these first gen movies. There are a lot of good movies being released that you KNOW will be re-remastered. anyone remember the first wave of DVD's? Road Warrior comes to mind. All grainy and VHS like....of course, they never did remaster that.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:31 PM
analog/digital audio expert

Also, "grain" is a tricky thing. It's not just the transfer. When film stock is selected for a movie, it is graded (as I understand it, I could recall incorrectly. I discussed this with a film stock reseller years ago) by type of grain.

Sometimes directors look for a specific grain to create an effect, especially in film noire or genre movies. Noise reduction can sometimes remove this, but then you may be messing with the style the film intended.

Also, before digital cinema, a lot of lower-cost movies would simply default to grainy stock because of budget. Probably not the case for Stargate, though... :-(

In other cases, it is when a bad transfer is used. It's not always obvious....
Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 PM

I watched Hogan's Heroes in Hi-Def on HD-Net. Perfect! 40+ years old, and PERFECT. Stargate is 13 years old, and while not all of it suffers from grain, parts of it are worse that VHS. granted, its the extended cut, but this is my point. REMASTER your movie before calling it hi-def. HD-DVD "The Look and Sound of Perfect" uh huh...not always..
Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
What the hell is it with all the crappy transfers? All the grain?
grain depends on film stock. remastering an analogue source, via 4K process, is an rather slow and expensive process. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...d-is-made.html
Old 12-31-2007, 03:15 AM

I wish people would stop ripping on Stargate. There are parts of it that look pretty bad for HD, like the extended cut parts that were added but the majority of the movie looks great ! The outdoor parts are amazing. Also for the record even the worst of the worst looks better than the DVD versions which I have owned them all, and certainly better than VHS.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:51 AM

Geez, grain is part of film. The issue is that the HD resolution is surpassing the film stock in a lot of cases.