'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-14-2007, 12:06 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' - High-Def Digest Review

It's an historic day here at High-Def Digest. With this inauspicious title, we welcome our site's very first guest reviewer, Kenneth Brown. Expect to see a few more reviews from Kenneth over the coming days, and not to worry... Peter isn't going anywhere.

Kenneth, as it turns out, was a big fan of the 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' comic book series. And while he was disappointed with the big screen adaption when it hit theaters back in 2003, upon viewing the movie a second time for this Blu-ray review, he was able to appreciate it for what it is -- mindless entertainment. And while the technical aspects of this now three month-old Blu-ray disc are not quite what we've come to expect, they do deliver on the bottom line. Throw in a few standard-def supplements and even a few HD-exclusives, and Kenneth says this one ranks a rental.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/leag...gentlemen.html

Welcome, Kenneth!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:18 AM

I have this in my collection and its not the best movie - but I still enjoy it.

Maybe the fact that this is BD25 could be one of the reasons that Fox is postpone some of release and updating its formats to better video format on BD50 disk instead.

I did like that it has DTS sound - I wish all movies had DTS.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:00 AM

Welcome Kenneth.

Geez, how many reviews did Bracke do all in all? He needs a well deserved break imo.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:19 AM

well, if this is something he enjoys, there's no reason to stop is there?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:24 AM

Nice review there Ken.

Very similar writing styles to Peter, so similar that if I hadn't read wrote the article, I would have thought it was Peter. Also I enjoyed your detailed analysis of the film's V/A.

Welcome aboard
Old 02-14-2007, 10:40 AM

Hey guys. I just wanted to point out an error in his review. He claims that the movies has more violence than the comic book, but that is untrue. The comic is actually really bloody, with Hyde crushing people's heads and such. Being that it's a PG-13 film, League doesn't even come close to matching that level of violence and gore.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:55 AM

SPOILER ALERT

That shooting game sounds like a larf. It scores you on your ability to recognize "bad guys" and good guys. How does it score you when you shoot at Dorian Gray?

Dorian is a "bad guy" during the entire film, but we don't really find that out till later. So what happens if you shoot at him in the first fight scene?

Last edited by MentokTheMindTaker; 02-14-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:36 AM

Whoah whoah - that's a spoiler, dude.

Does the shooting game let you play the whole movie that way or just certain scenes?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Whoah whoah - that's a spoiler, dude.

Does the shooting game let you play the whole movie that way or just certain scenes?
Woops. My bad. I am not used to talking about films on forums. I have added a spoiler warning to my post.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I just wanted to point out an error in his review. He claims that the movies has more violence than the comic book, but that is untrue. The comic is actually really bloody, with Hyde crushing people's heads and such. Being that it's a PG-13 film, League doesn't even come close to matching that level of violence and gore.
Just wanted to point out there's a difference between violence and gore. You can have lots of PG-13 violence with no blood. The comic has bloodier scenes but they're a lot less frequent than the comicy violence in LXG. I'd say the movie's more violent, while the comic's more explicit and bloody.