Best quality Video and Audio formats for Blu-ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Best quality Video and Audio formats for Blu-ray

I am curious what the best video and audio formats for Blu-ray and why?

I currently don't have HDMI receiver but one day I will lilely have on. However for me I like DTS ES 6.1 - some do it.

I am also interested in video formats and why they are better. Is bigger movie file always better.

Personaly additional content doesn't matter, what matters the most is better video and audio qaulity, I would like information so I know what to demand from studios and such.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:42 PM

Until there is hardware that sends out a dts MA soundtrack or content that supports True HD we're not going to get the audio side of this question answered.

As far as video: I've seen some really great MPEG2 transfers and a lot of bad ones. I still think HD DVD seems a bit more consistent in image quality (although recent Blu-ray releases have been extremely solid) so my gut tells me VC1 encodes are the way to go. I can't say I've seen enough AVC encodes to have an opinion.

Even if VC1 isn't superior, visually, to MPEG2 it still takes up less space on the disc. Likewise with PCM, it takes up more space for a PCM soundtrack even though it's not necessarily better. Ideally, I'd rather have a VC1 video encode with a dts MA soundtrack and leave the extra room for special content.