The Thing on Blu-ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Default The Thing on Blu-ray?

Maybe I am losing my mind, but I was certain The Thing (1982) was released on Blu-ray as well as HD DVD. But I am not finding any info on the BD version.

Can someone clear this up for me?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:33 AM

The Thing is a Universal title. Thus HD DVD exclusive.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 AM

I did see that, so I must be losing my mind. Thanks for verifying that I am losing it!
Old 12-28-2007, 05:09 PM

I just watched this the other day. The audio was not exactly impressive, but the video quality was decent. I am a fan of the film and it is worth picking it up (if you go purple).
Old 12-28-2007, 06:03 PM

Yeah, I have a relatively short list of films I'm going to rebuy on HD. The Thing is one of them (and is the only HDDVD title I really want so far). If I ever get a HDDVD player I'll be grabbing it.

Shame about the audio though, as the score and sound etc was always impressive in the film.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Universal...

It's really quite a bummer that Uni isn't releasing stuff on Blu.

They are losing out on hundreds of $ in sales from me (not to mention others...).

The Bourne Supremacy
Escape from NY
The Thing
Good Shepherd
The Kingdom
Heat
Collateral
The Island

The list goes on...

j
Old 12-28-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva05 View Post
Escape from NY
Heat
Collateral
The Island

The list goes on...
What?

No, really. WHAT?

Escape from NY is MGM, Heat is WB, The Island and Collateral are Paramount/Dreamworks. At least half of your list has nothing to do with Universal. Please tell me your thought process on this, as I'm totally baffled.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva05 View Post
It's really quite a bummer that Uni isn't releasing stuff on Blu.

They are losing out on hundreds of $ in sales from me (not to mention others...).

The Bourne Supremacy
Escape from NY
The Thing
Good Shepherd
The Kingdom
Heat
Collateral
The Island

The list goes on...

j
The Island is out in the UK on Blu Ray, and isn't region locked.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Yeah, I have a relatively short list of films I'm going to rebuy on HD. The Thing is one of them (and is the only HDDVD title I really want so far). If I ever get a HDDVD player I'll be grabbing it.

Shame about the audio though, as the score and sound etc was always impressive in the film.
The audio isn't bad, it just isn't great or really a big improvement over previous versions. Not to be unexpected given the film's age. I don't own the DVD though I have seen it it does seem to lack a bit of the last DVD releases special features too. I didn't even know this one was on HD DVD until I saw it go on sale for $16.99 so I picked it up without hesitation.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
What?

No, really. WHAT?

Escape from NY is MGM, Heat is WB, The Island and Collateral are Paramount/Dreamworks. At least half of your list has nothing to do with Universal. Please tell me your thought process on this, as I'm totally baffled.
that eva person has no thought process. Only a rudimentary instinct to troll the format specific forum.