'Departed' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2007, 12:48 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Departed' - High-Def Digest Review

Just posted Peter's review of 'The Departed,' and -- believe the hype -- it looks like we have our next must-own Blu-ray. Great movie, strong video and audio and even a few supplements (hard to ask for more with the film's theatrical run so recent).

Peter's review of this dual format release also includes a first ever head-to-head comparison of the Blu-ray's PCM 5.1 surround track and the HD DVD's True HD track...

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/departed.html
Old 02-13-2007, 01:17 PM

Great review for a great movie.

Interesting comparison between the soundtracks. Seems like I made the right choice by choosing the Blu-ray release for this movie even if differences are very small.

Just got myself a new amp so I can enjoy the pcm uncompressed soundtracks.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Very interesting review about the sound. I was always curious how a comparison of PCM and one of the next gen audio formats would compare.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:22 PM

Sounds like (pun intended) lossless TrueHD ain't so lossless then is it? Someone should call Dolby out on this one.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Not good enough to win in the audio department

I am happy that uncompressed audio was audibly better than Dolby. For me it didn't come as a surprise. Would have been great if Warner had added uncompressed audio to their "Phantom of the Opera" blu-ray release!

It is also not surprising, of course, that this advantage did not show in the final audio rating, it is four stars for both! Subtle differences in favor of HD DVD have always been severly punished by P.B. with the deduction of stars for blu-ray, this just doesn't work the other way round.

Anyway, I hope that Warner will continue using uncompressed audio!

Last edited by Konrad; 02-13-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LembasBread View Post
Sounds like (pun intended) lossless TrueHD ain't so lossless then is it? Someone should call Dolby out on this one.
Question is most of us cannot hear DOLBY TRUE HD yet because we havent got receivers capable of decoding.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:22 PM

Every HD DVD player is required to decode TrueHD. So the reviewers are able to hear all 5.1 channels of it either through analog outputs or converted to PCM via HDMI so I don't get what your getting at.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LembasBread View Post
Every HD DVD player is required to decode TrueHD. So the reviewers are able to hear all 5.1 channels of it either through analog outputs or converted to PCM via HDMI so I don't get what your getting at.
When we get the Likes of denon receivers with Dolby True HD that will be the test, i do not trust decoding in the players to High Standard
Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 AM

I just finish watching this movie for the first time. First of all - the video and audio quality was very nice, but Similar to Crank, I found the actual content of the movie not of much of my taking. At some points it was slow in my opinion.

I did find things that I didn't care about, the menu system on the film is quite annoying to me. I am not sure I was doing anything wrong, but where is the audio settings and other setup, not this overlay of other stuff on menu.

I am sure Prestige will be a much better movie next week, but don't get me wrong it was still enjoyable - but expected much more base on all the hype.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:09 PM

Note, the HD DVD review got half a star for HD extras? Did it have any more extras than the BD or is it a misprint?