jed
    jed is offline HDD Founder

Default 'The Company' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Kenneth's review of 'The Company.' Although there's not much included in the extras department, he says this Blu-ray release of the TNT miniseries is generally quite solid, boasting four-star scores for both audio and video.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1030/company2007.html

mosman22 is offline Member

Default Hmm. this is a very late review

Is it ust me or has hdd been really slacking on their HD reviews lately. I mean i wwatched the company on BD well over a month ago. Not to mention Roy Orbinson, Eastern Promises, Rush Hour 3, David Gilmour, and a host of other titles that all came out in the past month and are yet to be reviewed. Where are the revies people? Whats the deal, you guys are really slacking?
    Sony 52' XBR 4
    Onkyo 705
    polk 5.1
    Ps 3 60 gig
    Toshiba a 35

Ken Brown is offline Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post
    Is it ust me or has hdd been really slacking on their HD reviews lately. I mean i wwatched the company on BD well over a month ago. Not to mention Roy Orbinson, Eastern Promises, Rush Hour 3, David Gilmour, and a host of other titles that all came out in the past month and are yet to be reviewed. Where are the revies people? Whats the deal, you guys are really slacking?
    Sorry -- the super computer at High-Def Digest that watches, evaluates, and reviews each title has been on the fritz this month. We've had to do everything ourselves.

The short answer is that we're often at the mercy of studio screeners and other unavoidable issues. If we don't receive a screener, it takes time and money to nab a copy. If we receive a screener late, it can get buried beneath other priority releases that we do receive on time. If it's the holiday season, the delivery services are usually swamped and run slower.

The long answer (with unneccesary emoticons sprinkled in for good measure) is that the studio shipping process is only a small part of the 1001 factors we deal with before evaluating a disc at High-Def Digest. Once we have a copy, we have to watch the movie, take careful notes on audio and video (rewinding, doing side-by-side compares, checking out the standard DVD, etc), dig through every single special feature, then write a couple thousand carefully researched words about it.

Then it's got to go through the editing phase to clean up any typos, unclear thoughts, etc (a process this post could severely use). Then it has to go in a load queue to be placed on the site. Then it has to be pillaged by the handful of people who have a gripe about how much more work we should have put into our evaluation or write-up.

WARNING! POST DESCENDING INTO RANT

I know we could skimp on detail, throughness, cut out the movie review, the supplemental summaries, slap up unedited reviews regardless of our integrity, use a sentence to describe a major problem, leave out images, skip uses of inconsequential words like "the," "transfer," "Dolby," and "as"... but what would be the point of visiting High-Def Digest anymore?

If our reviews are an essential part of your buying decisions and we post a review later than expected, be confident that you're getting well researched info. We love our readers and mean no disrespect. We know you all want reviews in a timely manner -- in fact, we kick ourselves to get them done ASAP. So butter us up with a kind message about how you appreciate the hard work we put into things. Let us know it'd sure be nice and all if we could pretty please speed up a particular review cause you're excited to read our beautiful, carefully planned prose. Tell us how much you love us and want to have our babies.

RANT COMPLETED! PROCEED DEAR READERS!

Cause a few of us get cranky and chatty at 4am on the East Coast.

Anywho, I hope that clarifies our hectic process, provides some insight into unavoidable delays, and made some of you chuckle at your monitor. Thanks as always for posting!

**This post was not meant to be angry, malicious, or ill-tempered. It should not be read by those with a faulty sense of subtle humor or a destablized intake of Omega-3 fatty acids. The postee [Ken Brown] can take criticism, enjoys taking criticism, hates being misinterpreted as someone who can't take criticism, and merely meant this post as a light hearted response to a question he took to be a legitimately (but hastily) posted response made out of frustration. He did get a tad perturbed, but only because the original post implied he was a slacker. He does not condone slacking or the pursuit of being a slacker in any way. He hopes his 3-year-old son does not become a slacker in the future. Posters posting a spiteful reply post for this postee will have acknowledged they missed the joke. They will inadvertantly gain the pity of the postee. The postee is sure he has pissed off some other poster to no end and, for that, the postee will eternally regret this post. The postee would also like to confirm that the term "Dear Readers" that appears in the second crimson warning is indeed a nimble reference to "Wizard People, Dear Readers" -- the hilarious companion audio track for 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.' The postee wishes everyone would download it online (http://www.creasedcomics.com/wpdr.php), save it to two audio CDs, synch the CD audio track with the film, and laugh until they pop a vessel. In conclusion, if you found this reply to be annoying, be assured that the postee finds it mildly annoying as well. He also finds it mildly amusing in his pre-sleep haze. The postee thanks you as always for reading the fine print of this post in its entirety.**

---

project-blu is offline Former Member
    I'm not here. I'm elsewhere. Don't celebrate, I'm not dead yet.

wow.....that's a very VERY good response. Not everyone realizes the work the reviewers put into everything, and that they're at the mercy of actually GETTING the discs to review.

That whole diatribe should be stickied or at least copy pasted EVERY time someone asks where a review is on some title that, OMG, was released yesterday and hasn't been reviewed yet.
    Tumbleweeds.

Tumbleweeds everywhere.

GamerGuyX is offline Banned

Where's the review for SOS! Tokyo Mega Explorers: The Next?

I DEMAND IT!!!!!

dalamchops is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
    wow.....that's a very VERY good response. Not everyone realizes the work the reviewers put into everything, and that they're at the mercy of actually GETTING the discs to review.

That whole diatribe should be stickied or at least copy pasted EVERY time someone asks where a review is on some title that, OMG, was released yesterday and hasn't been reviewed yet.
    Instead of writing that, he could've just worked on catching up on another review

JK! Thanks for all your hard work put into each review

Ken Brown is offline Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by dalamchops View Post
    Instead of writing that, he could've just worked on catching up on another review

JK! Thanks for all your hard work put into each review
    Haha brilliant -- you're so right. I'm working on one now, so I'll keep this one to three sentences!

Seriously though, your quick quip absolutely brightened my evening.

Blu-Balls is offline Member

Seriously, what is with the MSRP for this movie?

http://www.amazon.com/Company-Blu-ra...35C4J88TGC07NJ

It's in my NetFlix queue but if I was a fan of this film, I'd be pissed. It doesn't make any sense.

Does anyone know why the price is so high?
    Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma TH-50PZ700U
    Yamaha RX-V863
    Definitive 5.1 Set-up: 4 ProMonitor 1000s, ProCenter 2000, SuperCube III sub
    HD-A30 (count: 11 and shrinking)
    80 gig PS3 (count: 408)
    Last purchases: The Hurt Locker & (500) Days of Summer
    Next purchases: Zombieland and A Serious Man
    Other: DirecTV, XBox 360, and Wii

Super-VHS is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-Balls View Post
    Seriously, what is with the MSRP for this movie?

http://www.amazon.com/Company-Blu-ra...35C4J88TGC07NJ

It's in my NetFlix queue but if I was a fan of this film, I'd be pissed. It doesn't make any sense.

Does anyone know why the price is so high?
    Because, it's a mini-series and not a 'movie'. The Company has a slightly higher runtime (okay, its 300 minutes) than a standard film and because of this Sony feels that it is okay to charge $55 for it - even if that's just MSRP.....
    "Did I ever tell you I was struck by lightning seven times?"