'First Blood' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2007, 12:24 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'First Blood' - High-Def Digest Review

Well lookie here - a vintage action flick that Peter Brack actually likes... 'First Blood' gets a rave review from our man Peter, who praises both the film and it's Blu-ray debut. If you're looking for a quality catalogue title to add to your Blu-ray collection, this could be it.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/firstblood.html
Old 02-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned

Looks like another Blu-ray movie that shows how inferior their picture quality is </sarcasm>
Old 02-13-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Review Correction re: alternate ending

Hello,

I just read Peter's review of "First Blood" and wanted to point out an error in his writing. He indicates that the deleted scenes do not contain an alternate ending, and after viewing the blu-ray disc last weekend I did indeed see two alternate endings. (One of the endings shows Stallone breaking character during filming, by the way. The other, longer in duration scene shows Rambo being shot by Crenna's character. Good stuff!)

Not sure how this was overlooked. Maybe he reviewed the HD-DVD version and I misunderstood.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:49 PM
HDD Founder

Spoke with Peter. He went back and added mention of the Alternate Endings to the review -- thanks for pointing out the error.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:32 PM

Watched this last night. Was really expecting to see a large body count for what Ive heard about the series. But,, only 1 PERSON DIES,, on accident!
But I enjoyed it more than I thought I would,, and am now dying to see the others in High Def(although I would like to import PII and PIII on HD but heard there was a pitch problem ) The PQ was great for a film of its age. The AQ as well held its ground as a catalog BD release. Overall a good flick and transfer.

Movie: 3.5/5
PQ: 3.5/5
AQ: 3.5/5
Overall: 3.5/5

Go check it out,, especially with the new Rambo movie out,, which I am dying to see!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:23 PM

Now that I am finally format neutral (as of today), I will definitely be picking this up. This is a great film!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:42 AM

this is the best in the frnchise and has a great vidoe transfer, but it is too bad there is no lossless audio.

I hope the others get as good of transfers as this got.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 AM

This was one of the first Blu-ray discs that I purchased. I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. Aesthetically speaking, I was really pleased with this transfer. Much like the Deer Hunter, it was like watching the movie for the first time all over again, despite seeing both of these movies in over 30 multiple viewings. If anyone is a fan of the film, this one is a no-brainer.

John Rambo in high-definition? A priceless experience.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 AM

yeah despite the age this one was pretty good. I enjoy it on a monthly basis
Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM

I just watched this the other day on blu-ray as well and thought it was great. One of my favorite action movies of all time in high def! The picture quality was outstanding for a movie made in 1982.