Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    blurayisking is offline Member

Default Blade Runner 5 DISC SNAFU

As reported on Blu-ray.com, your copy of the 5 DISC Blu-ray set may have a major SNUFU.

Mine was bought at BEST BUY here in Canada.

DISC 5 (supposed to be workprint version of film) is actually an exact copy of DISC 1 (final cut) even though the DISC 5 artwork is different.

You can easily tell by checking the sound options. If your DISC 5 offers Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital, then you have a bad disc. Also, the chapter numbers would be 36 (final cut) as opposed to 35 (workprint).

Unreal !!

Arkadin is offline Member

Warner really needs to get their act together. maybe they do need to go exclusive to one side. They can't seem to hack it anymore with trying to make sets for both formats.

Chickengas is offline Member

Is there any way to tell without opening the set? Best Buy doesn't like exhanging DVD's, and who's to say I wouldn't get the same set again. There has to be something identifiable on the outside??

dsLV426 is offline Member

Whew!!
    I just checked my copy (Ultimate - bought at Future Shop), and all the discs are correct.
    THD and DD for disc 1, and DD only (and poorer PQ) for disc 2.

blurayisking is offline Member

There is no way of telling as to whether you will have the problem based on the outside box.

I just returned the first copy to Best Buy and purchased a second copy from a different Best Buy store. Same problem again. Twice is enough, so I guess I'll just wait to see what Warner has to say about possible exchange program.

Afterall, it is the workprint version that is missing which will not be as good in terms of picture and sound quality so you have to ask yourself as whether its worth worrying about and how many times are you actually going to watch that version.

On a side note, it is virtually sold out everywhere, so I don't expect to see any resolution on this issue until at least the latter half of January 2008. In the meantime, I can enjoy the other four discs.

Please understand that I'm rightly pissed off with this lack of quality control but in the words of Tony Soprano, " what are you going to do ? ".

Blurayisking

Jared is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    Warner really needs to get their act together. maybe they do need to go exclusive to one side. They can't seem to hack it anymore with trying to make sets for both formats.
    Other than this mistake, what are you basing this statement on?
    Toshiba HD-A35
    HD DVD drive
    BD player
    discs owned: 63
    discs owned: ?
    standard DVDs owned: ?

marc0702 is offline Member

probably the harry potter mix up where an hd-dvd ended up in the blu ray box set.

SAFOOL is offline Member

Couldn't you just sell/trade the extra full movie disc to one of us who dont want the 5 disc set?

ehb1550 is offline Member

Question Workprint Issue on DVD

So far, I haven’t been able to find out the reason why there is a “Disc 5” in the Special Edition of Blade Runner. It’s essentially the “Final Cut” version, without any solidly clear processing. What I have heard is that this print is the one Scott used to put the whole Final Cut together! So, it’s rather foolish to feel it was necessary to include a lousy visual version of the film for what is probably historical reasons or perhaps simply to make the Special Edition impressive? This situation reminds me of when the first DVD version of Blade Runner was released and the studio refused to reprocess the soundtrack for 5.1. When I called Warner Brothers they blamed Ridley Scott and said he wouldn’t have approved of a change in the soundtrack from the original 4.0 to 5.1!! This excuse was rather odd, since the studio had already taken full control of the film away from Scott. At that point I realized I was being jerked around and nobody really cared.

I think this issue of including the so-called work print will remain a sort of technical mystery, until somebody of a reputable background associated with the DVD release explains in simple terms why it was done. If anything, the supplementary discs on the making of the film are quite direct in explaining the horrendous way the whole production of the film emerged. Now that time has passed it sort of makes sense why the film was never under any solid control and ended up one of these classic films destined towards becoming a legendary movie. . .After all, even such other classic films as “Gone With The Wind,” “The Wizard of Oz” and “Casablanca” were all made under stressful conditions! At a technical way of looking at “Disc 5” simply adds more to the traditional chaos or confused imagery that was Blade Runner as a movie once it was released in theaters in 1982. I will say that “Disc 1” is beautifully processed in HD and is a sparkling example of what today’s technology can do! It might be exciting and marketable to add all three other versions of the movie into the new HD DVD set, but this work print was a waste of time and doesn’t add anything of value to the new DVD release.

Johnny Park is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsLV426 View Post
    Whew!!
    I just checked my copy (Ultimate - bought at Future Shop), and all the discs are correct.
    THD and DD for disc 1, and DD only (and poorer PQ) for disc 2.
    The problem is with Disc 5, not 2. 2 is just a SD DVD.
    Player - Elite with add-on - 66 HD DVDs
    Player - 60 GB - 18 Blu-ray discs

Do the menus identify which version of the film or disc #? I'll go through all five discs and see if I have any dupes.

Johnny Park is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
    Do the menus identify which version of the film or disc #? I'll go through all five discs and see if I have any dupes.
    Wouldn't the easiest way to check if the menus don't say which disc is which just be to bookmark something on Disc 1, then see if the bookmark is there for Disc 5 when you put it in?
    Player - Elite with add-on - 66 HD DVDs
    Player - 60 GB - 18 Blu-ray discs

Warner Brothers i know you are kind of crazy over there because of the holiday rush and trying to release some good movies for christman but do your jobs correctly

Twistedlp is offline Member

I think what I'm about to say can resonate with everyone. I'm sick of warner's bullsh*t.
    l Toshiba HD-A3 l SONY BDP-S300 l
    Custom HD-DVD & Blu-Ray Disc Covers
    HDM Discs

DanzBorin is offline Founding Member

warner is having fun with blu-ray... lol
    LG 75UH8500 w/ Tivo Bolt
    Onkyo TX-NR646 w/ Polk Audio RTi8s, RT35i, matching center and Klipsh 10" Reference sub

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast