'Goblet of Fire' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'Goblet of Fire' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Kenneth's review of 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.' Although this Blu-ray edition lacks the exclusive "In-Movie Experience" of its HD DVD counterpart, Kenneth says a stunning transfer, a bold PCM mix and a nice collection of standard supplements still make this a very strong release.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/292/...letoffire.html
Old 12-18-2007, 02:12 AM

Thought this would be the verdict. Glad I waited and didn't buy the box set, we got one returned at my work so we got to look at it, what horrible packaging. The dvd cases are generic cd cases at best, with some discs coming in an envelope-type case. Rather have the original cases myself. Glad to see this one lives up to the PoA and OotP transfers, nice!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Wow, I was supprised to see the video upgrade between the UK (I have this one) v. the native US version... I suppose that is what impatience gets me, lol... Actually I'm not at all dissapointed with my UK version, it's a nice upgrade over standard def to be sure, but still supprising non-the-less
Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 PM

ok, why couldn't warner have added the IMEs on OotP and GoF? wouldn't that have been a better first outting for IME than Terminator 3? hopefully they will rerelease 5/4 with them eventually, maybe around when HBP comes out
Old 12-18-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkpilsnut View Post
Thought this would be the verdict. Glad I waited and didn't buy the box set, we got one returned at my work so we got to look at it, what horrible packaging. The dvd cases are generic cd cases at best, with some discs coming in an envelope-type case. Rather have the original cases myself. Glad to see this one lives up to the PoA and OotP transfers, nice!
yeah i saw the box set at Best Buy the other day it looks terrible
Old 12-18-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post
ok, why couldn't warner have added the IMEs on OotP and GoF? wouldn't that have been a better first outting for IME than Terminator 3?
It's probably a combination of the movies' length and the amount of content in the IME. Terminator 3 is pretty short and the IME content is frankly pretty sparse. Since Warner isn't ready with true Profile 1.1 picture-in-picture capability yet, they've simply included a separate encoding for those scenes with IME content and seamlessly branched them to the rest of the movie. Doing so for the Harry Potters may have created disc space issues.

Just a theory. I don't know for sure.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:16 AM

Default continuing our Harry Potter HD-DVD journey . . .

I have no idea why the Goblet of Fire HD-DVD review links to this thread . . but . . whatever.
This HD-DVD is truly awesome - superb film, PQ and AQ. It is true that we are big fans of the Harry Potter books and films, so we always enter viewing one of these with a positive attitude. If you like the Harry Potter series - snag this puppy in HD-DVD or blu-ray and enjoy! The reviewer gave this HD-DVD a "Highly Recommended" with good reason. I expect the blu-ray is just as good.
We've still got 2 more Harry Potter films to go . . looking forward to watching them later this week. bbbluhhhhdvd

Last edited by Rich86; 05-10-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:17 AM

what's most astounding is how few posts this thread has.
I mean wtf??
Old 05-10-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I mean wtf??
That is odd. Its a pretty major franchise. Unless all of them were reviewed as one box set, and every one got its own thread....
Old 05-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I mean wtf??
This review was published and the thread started back in 2007, before the forums had as much activity as we see today.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.