The Fifth Element not that bad ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-10-2007, 02:04 AM

Default The Fifth Element not that bad ?

I got The Fifth Element tonight and was interested in checking out how it looked as everyone has been ripping on it for months now. I didnt watch the whole thing just looked at some parts of it. I am very familiar with this movie as I have had like 4 versions of it now. These are my thoughts.

1. It is inconsistant. Some parts have great blacks and others not. But for the most part it is just fine.

2. The first part of the movie is the worst part as far as video quality. This just sets the wrong tone.

3. Resolution is much better than the Superbit upconverted. I have heard otherwise and this is just not the case.

4. Color is much better overall.

5. The print is dirty.

They could have done a much better job with this movie and I hope that they come though with the promised redo but this version is still an upgrade from the Superbit and is worth a purchase if you are a fan of the film like I am.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:50 AM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
I got The Fifth Element tonight and was interested in checking out how it looked as everyone has been ripping on it for months now. I didnt watch the whole thing just looked at some parts of it. I am very familiar with this movie as I have had like 4 versions of it now. These are my thoughts.

1. It is inconsistant. Some parts have great blacks and others not. But for the most part it is just fine.

2. The first part of the movie is the worst part as far as video quality. This just sets the wrong tone.

3. Resolution is much better than the Superbit upconverted. I have heard otherwise and this is just not the case.

4. Color is much better overall.

5. The print is dirty.

They could have done a much better job with this movie and I hope that they come though with the promised redo but this version is still an upgrade from the Superbit and is worth a purchase if you are a fan of the film like I am.
I get ripped on everytime I say The Fifth Element doesn't look THAT bad... According to most that's as bad as Blu-ray gets...
Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 AM

i just purchased the unit a few days ago too and honestly, its not that bad. I think part of the problem is that it was a launch title so people played it with the problematic Samsung player
Old 02-10-2007, 12:27 PM

I liked House of flying Daggers, didn't think it lived up to its catch phrase, "House of flying Artifacts" so I might get The Fifth Element.. still on the fence.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:46 PM

I think that those who rip these titles like House of Flying Daggers and Fifth Element, must be extreme videophiles with the best equipment. The rest of us are just early adopters who enjoy good quality and know the future of a product when we see it. I personally enjoy both of these titles.

I try not to listen too much to the critics myself. Unless they're talking of some sort of actual glitch with a specific disk... So far, I haven't read many reviews here at this website that are all that positive. There are a few, however they're all somebody else's opinion of the merrits of the stories. You know, from the person who's seen everything and will just never be satisfied unless a sequal or remake holds up to the to the origonal...

So far the worst BD disk I've seen is AVP, simply due to the slight video glitch in the middle of the unrated version, which no one else seems to notice or mention... But I've seen it on two different disk.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:23 PM

I'm a huge fan of the movie and have seen it 5 ( ) million times and the only problem I have with it is the print is dirtier than my gym socks. The colors are beautiful and really pop, and sharp detail is good, but not reference quality the way it should have been.

I don't know which master they used for this BD release, but it doesn't seem to be the one they did the Superbit one with, because that one was much cleaner than what we see on the BD version. I'd double dip for this one.

I do have a problem with Flying Daggers. That one is clean, and sharp but is like some Warner titles - it lacks a lot of fine detail making it look like an upconverted DVD. But hey, I ain't complainin', I got it free from one of Best Buy's BOGO deals!!

That's all just IMO...

Last edited by LembasBread; 02-10-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:35 PM

Fifth element is not that bad, for me its similar to Batman Begins on HD DVD.

It doesn't jump out at me like Open Season and Pearl Harbor.

It likely very different for me - because everything looks better on my XBR2.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonfett View Post
I get ripped on everytime I say The Fifth Element doesn't look THAT bad... According to most that's as bad as Blu-ray gets...
I'd like to add my experience with this and other BD titles. I'm using the Samsung player and before I did the firmware update I would have sided with the nay sayers that the quality was worse than the up sampled superbit version. But after the FW upgrade it is good but not a reference title. However! I always wondered at those people who thought Ice Age wasn't very good but Open Season was since I thought the opposite. Not that OS was bad but it had a few artifacts and such where as Ice Age had not a glimmer. But since the FW upgrade I agree with the others that OS is clean but now Ice Age and others look mushier with less vibrant colors and noticeable flickering and banding with a lot of noise where before there wasn't any at all.

The few extra disks I can play now which I couldn't before is not worth the loss of picture quality I have experienced. Unfortunaley according to Samsung tech support there is no way to go back to older firmware.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krammer View Post
I liked House of flying Daggers, didn't think it lived up to its catch phrase, "House of flying Artifacts" so I might get The Fifth Element.. still on the fence.
HoFD is a little noisy but I love it, it's got such great colors.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:50 AM

According to a Sony Pictures insider (Paidgeek) on the BD forum they are working an a new release of the movie (cause they know they messed up) and will have some trade in program for those who purchase the first one. The new version of TFE should be out soon, check it out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX View Post
paidgeek, is there any truth to the rumors that Sony is considering or in the process of remastering The Fifth Element and optimizing it for BD-50 after its poor reviews/reception by BD & Fifth Element fans?

Yes, no rumor about it, we are working on a new transfer and will make a new version available in the near future. For those unhappy with the original version, we are considering how to provide an exchange for the new one.