'Saw IV' to Feature Web-Enabled "MoLog" - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:08 PM
jed's Avatar
jed jed is offline
HDD Founder
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,621
Default 'Saw IV' to Feature Web-Enabled "MoLog"

just posted:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1265

Quote:
Promising to push the limits of next-gen interactivity, Lionsgate says its January Blu-ray release of 'Saw IV' will allow consumers to blog about the flick directly from a web-connected Blu-ray player.

Dubbed "MoLog" (short for Movie Blog), Lionsgate tells us that the new feature will enable consumers to create and share their own added value content via blog entries.

'Saw IV' is the second announced Blu-ray title from Lionsgate to include web-connected features. Last week at the Web 2.0 conference in Los Angeles, it was revealed that the studio plans to include a network-connected game on its Jan 1 release of 'War,' which Lionsgate says will allow fans to play each other online.

At press time, it still wasn't clear whether there would be any Blu-ray players compatible with the new technology at launch. Although studio officials have hinted that an upcoming firmware update for the PS3 will unlock web-enabled features such as these, Sony has yet to confirm these reports, and no manufacturer has provided a timetable for the first true BD-Live hardware.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Motorheadache's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,506
Default

Ugh, I'm getting sick of all these web-enabled gimmicks. Not a big deal, I mean, since it doesn't detract from the rest of the disc, but all these attempts to offer "exclusive HD extras" have been pretty lame and silly so far. Does anyone actually use this stuff?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:12 PM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

So I'm guessing despite the NIC on my BD-P1400 I'll never have access to this unless I pony up for an official 2.0 player?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:17 PM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorheadache View Post
Ugh, I'm getting sick of all these web-enabled gimmicks. Not a big deal, I mean, since it doesn't detract from the rest of the disc, but all these attempts to offer "exclusive HD extras" have been pretty lame and silly so far. Does anyone actually use this stuff?
I can see the ones on Harry Potter OOTP getting used by families, particularly fav. sceens.. Or if your kids want to watch the movie with fav cousins in a different state...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM
MNTWISTER's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 794
Default

I am not sure what all the complaining is about. Everyone knew what they were buying when they got their players, and they knew they were not 2.0, yet they still opened their wallets. So why are people crying now? Why didn't they wait if the web enabled features were so important to them. Just sell that player, there's a market for them since not everyone cares about webbing from a movie player, and get the final spec player. It's getting really tiring, all this whining when people knew what they were buying, especially educated home theater people on sites like this.

In any case, it's nice to see some titles finally coming out, though so far, from what I have seen on my friend's hd-dvd player, most of these web enabled features are worthless to me. Chuck and Larry: shop online? Harry Potter: watch with strangers and chat while trying to concentrate on a movie? And the extras on Transformers, terrible. So either format web enabled features need to be much improved, though I am happy to see Blu-ray starting with web enabled, at the very least it's the last we will hear about the competetor's advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 124
Default

Here's my main question. If there is no hardware available to play these 2.0 titles, which as of right now there isn't and there most certainly wasn't at the time of disc authoring for a title due to release in 2 weeks.

WTF are they testing these things on?

Last edited by kkozma; 12-13-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 426
Default

PS3's.....

Lego
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:42 PM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTWISTER View Post
In any case, it's nice to see some titles finally coming out, though so far, from what I have seen on my friend's hd-dvd player, most of these web enabled features are worthless to me. Chuck and Larry: shop online? Harry Potter: watch with strangers and chat while trying to concentrate on a movie? And the extras on Transformers, terrible. So either format web enabled features need to be much improved, though I am happy to see Blu-ray starting with web enabled, at the very least it's the last we will hear about the competetor's advantage.
Why in the world would you watch HP with strangers? If I was going to use the feature it would be to watch with distant friends and family... Or perhaps everyone you know in the world lives with in driving distance of you?

Edit:
For instance I have a cousin living in Italy who is married and has a son... If we ever want to watch an HP movie together, this would be the best way wouldn't it? Has advantages over swimming across the pond

Last edited by crazzeto; 12-13-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTWISTER View Post
I am not sure what all the complaining is about. Everyone knew what they were buying when they got their players, and they knew they were not 2.0, yet they still opened their wallets. So why are people crying now? Why didn't they wait if the web enabled features were so important to them. Just sell that player, there's a market for them since not everyone cares about webbing from a movie player, and get the final spec player. It's getting really tiring, all this whining when people knew what they were buying, especially educated home theater people on sites like this.

In any case, it's nice to see some titles finally coming out, though so far, from what I have seen on my friend's hd-dvd player, most of these web enabled features are worthless to me. Chuck and Larry: shop online? Harry Potter: watch with strangers and chat while trying to concentrate on a movie? And the extras on Transformers, terrible. So either format web enabled features need to be much improved, though I am happy to see Blu-ray starting with web enabled, at the very least it's the last we will hear about the competetor's advantage.
I have to disagree on that one. Not everyone knew that there BD players that touted how superior it is wasn't a profile this and that. We have to assume that most people are normal consumers and are going to expect to be able to use these features when they buy the disc. I called this earlier this year when I started learning about these remaining profiles and how they were not mandatory at that time.

Everybody duck! Bullsh*t is coming!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 PM
crazzeto's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 14,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra2jzgte View Post
I have to disagree on that one. Not everyone knew that there BD players that touted how superior it is wasn't a profile this and that. We have to assume that most people are normal consumers and are going to expect to be able to use these features when they buy the disc. I called this earlier this year when I started learning about these remaining profiles and how they were not mandatory at that time.

Everybody duck! Bullsh*t is coming!
I had a feeling it wouldn't be a P1.1 profile as I was pretty sure the Panni player was the only one on the market that was. The BBuy sales person swore up and down that it was (again, I was pretty sure he was wrong) but hey, I figured it was the only BD player on the market that I could afford... And considering the fact that the player hit this price with speacial rebate, there's no guarontee that any BD player will be this cheap again after the holidays, hence I jumped...

What I wasn't sure about, was whether full 1.1 compliance is required for Web enabled features to work, or if the content could be hacked into working with 1.0 players that are internet enabled.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issues with Rambo "MoLog" Feature ckybd Blu-ray Software General Discussion 4 05-29-2008 08:11 PM
'Heroes: Season 1' HD DVD image previews of web-enabled extras from contact sheet Master X HD DVD Software General Discussion 17 08-05-2007 12:24 AM
Web Enabled Features....Who Cares??? zeroprobe High Definition Smackdown 72 07-22-2007 04:25 PM
Universal Pledges Web-Enabled Features on All New HD DVD Titles jed HD DVD Software General Discussion 15 07-20-2007 09:27 PM
Details of 'Freedom Vol. 1' HD DVD - First Web-enabled Anime HD DVD diabolo HD DVD Software General Discussion 2 05-11-2007 06:46 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off